_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Sailing Vessels
This forum is for sailing ships both civilian and military of any era.
Union Brigantine Update
rv1963
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Model Shipwrights: 213 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 12:17 PM UTC

New pics of my little ship, as you can see i made some progress in the building and even got some paint on it. Still need to work on the spars and sales and all that rigging that should be a lot of fun, also i will have to figure out how to store the finished kit if it turns out good.
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Model Shipwrights: 67 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 12:28 PM UTC
Ahoy,

Looking good RV, nice to see the masts are up. I have the bowsprit attached on the Cutty Sark, but not much change to get any of the deck fittings done yet.
You'll need a display case or cabinet for this one, rigged ships attract dust like a magnet... I know that you can get special rigging thread which doesn't 'fray', but with all the sails and rigging you will not be able to dust her very well. Don't use sowing thread, it fluffs out like a cotton ball ( If that termonoligy makes any sence, It's 01.30 hrs, and I want to go home to sleeeep.. )
Nice detail on those cargohold covers and belaying pins.

Cheers
Henk
rv1963
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 02:52 PM UTC
Thanks Henk, the kit comes with some good quality thread doesn't seem to fray or collect any dust and when you rap the stuff around a pin it almost holds itself without any glue, i have already put a low luster clear coat on many of the detail parts seems a bit shiny but i think i like better that way. If it comes out good i think i will put it in a small display case if i can find one that doesn't cost a small fortune. Good luck on your kit, hope to see some progress pics soon.
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,242 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,064 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 02:03 AM UTC
It really looks nice RV, I've always liked the lines of a Brig, it's a classic look in my opinion.

One question, did you add the printed deck planks, or do they come already printed?

Thanks
Steve
rv1963
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 02:50 AM UTC
Thanks Steve she's coming along. The deck boards on the main hull were the kit plywood and the for and aft decks i substituted bass wood sheets because the color didn't look good, all the sheets were plain i drew the deck boards myself with a sharp No.2 pencil and a very small ruler including the nail heads i thought it would add some detail and i didn't want to spend extra money on an entry level kit, i think it worked out ok. Waiting to she some pics of your ship models.
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 02:57 AM UTC
Heck, I think it worked out more than just ok....It is, coming along nice...maybe I'll try one of these yet.
rv1963
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 03:17 AM UTC
You should give one of these kits a try, i checked your gallery with your skills you should have no problem.
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 06:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You should give one of these kits a try, i checked your gallery with your skills you should have no problem.

Yeah, maybe, a lot of days I think I still need those training wheels.

I'll probably try one later on this winter...I'd like to see how my swift boat turns out first..been trying my hand at scratch building...it's been....an experience.
rv1963
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 07:02 AM UTC
Scratch building that sounds like its a bit to advanced for me, trying one over the winter sounds like a good idea it will keep you very busy good luck and post some pictures.
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 07:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Scratch building that sounds like its a bit to advanced for me, trying one over the winter sounds like a good idea it will keep you very busy good luck and post some pictures.

Oh..well the only thing I've been trying to scratch build has been the interior of the pilot house. No, no...there's no way I could scratch a whole boat...I wish...but..no, I'm a long ways from that level.
rv1963
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 29, 2005 - 05:01 PM UTC
Steve i can't wait to see some pics of that pilot house you are scratch building sounds interesting, it would seam that i am now starting to get into this boat building, never thought that would happen. I should have some new pics of my Brigantine soon, all the masts and spars are are mounted all dead eyes are rigged and i am now working on the rat lines, i seem to be making good progress well back to the work bench.
 _GOTOTOP