_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Trumpeter's 1/350 Lexington...times two
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 574 posts
Model Shipwrights: 530 posts
Posted: Friday, October 07, 2005 - 06:31 AM UTC
Posted a few pictures to my gallery of my in progress twin builds of the Trumpter 1/350 Lexington. One is being built as the Lex as of Coral Sea (with some minor corrections to the kit), the other is being built (for the Battleship New Jersey museum) as the Saratoga, circa 1940.

Lex only needs her rudder and some rigging to be completed. An airgroup will come later. Saratoga still needs a bit of work - the island and smoke stack are still a ways off from being finished.

Comments and constructive criticism welcomed.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Friday, October 07, 2005 - 07:25 AM UTC
I'm doing my Lady Lex circa late 1940 early 1941. So far I have picked up the YMW backdate kit and the Tom's PE set. PLaced my order to Commander models (AKA Iron shipwright) for thier resin F-2a Buffaloes and Sb2U Vindicators. PLan to try to make my excess Dauntls and WIldcats look like the Buff and Vindicators . The shape of the bow looks good for your Sara, are you using the YKM backdate kit. If you need marking info on the the Airwing or types of aircraft for the backdate, Tom Hataway has an excellent resource
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 07, 2005 - 07:31 AM UTC
A friend of mine cast the island and some other parts from my YMW Lexington kit to use in the backdating of Sara, but then I ended up buying the update kit anyway just for the photo-etch. Which worked out well, because I still needed the resin plug and a few other parts for the smoke stack.

I haven't started researching the planes yet - I'm sure I'll need help with code numbers!

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2005 - 07:31 AM UTC
Just got my Vindicators and Buffaloes in. I took one of the Trumpeter Dauntlas' and trimmed the wings slightly and BINGO...I have 12 more Vindicators. The Devastators are Trumpeter. You have to be very exact as to the date you are going with from 1939 to 1941. They were going from biplane to monoplane during that time, and changing paint schemes from the yellow wing/silver fusalage to the all over light grey. I've got several pages of data Tom sent me for the Lexington. I'm sure if you ask him real nice he''ll do the same for your Saratoga.
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 1,610 posts
Model Shipwrights: 566 posts
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2005 - 08:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've got several pages of data Tom sent me for the Lexington. I'm sure if you ask him real nice he''ll do the same for your Saratoga.

Should be no problem. The source books have both ships listed, so when you're ready, just let me know what you're looking for. While the data doesn't have specific plane Bu Numbers, it will indicate what Squadrons comprised the Air Group, what aircraft they operated, and how they were marked. At 1/350 that's probably good enough.

Tom
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 03:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I've got several pages of data Tom sent me for the Lexington. I'm sure if you ask him real nice he''ll do the same for your Saratoga.

Should be no problem. The source books have both ships listed, so when you're ready, just let me know what you're looking for. While the data doesn't have specific plane Bu Numbers, it will indicate what Squadrons comprised the Air Group, what aircraft they operated, and how they were marked. At 1/350 that's probably good enough.

Tom

Tom,

What sources are you using? I'm looking for codes for the Saratoga's airgroup in 1940.

Thx,

Martin

thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 1,610 posts
Model Shipwrights: 566 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 07:57 AM UTC
I've got a pretty good reference book entitled something like "Aircraft Carriers of the US Navy" which has a lot of info.

If you're referring to the two letter codes, the Saratoga would not have had those in 1940. Each of the carriers at that time used a different color on the tail to designate which Air Group, and within each squadron, there were colors to identify each of the 3 plane sections, (1-3, 4-6, etc).

The book also lists the composition of each ship's air group over time, by what squadrons and aircraft type.

Just let me know what you're looking for and I should be able to find it.

Tom
 _GOTOTOP