_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Queen Mary 2 Question
WildCard
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 945 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, October 07, 2005 - 08:17 AM UTC
Greetings Guys,

I just bought me this big fat lady at Hobby Lobby for under 50 bucks!! Woohoo!!

After inspecting the loot, I realize there are some challenges ahead of me. Afterall, this will be my maiden voyage in building a ship. I figure I better ask all you experts out there before my QM2 turn into another Titanic.

My questions are: Since the deck and railings are two different color, Naturally, I would airbrush both before assembly. Now how do you glue (I use Tenax 7R) without damage the paint? Is there a alternative way to solve this problem?

Also, should I paint this in semi-gloss or full gloss? I've heard that the farther away your are (the samller the scale) the more colors are matted.

Are there any aftermarket parts for this ship? Are they worth the price? Has anybody build the ship yet?

Your expert advice would really help me out! I thank you for your time and patience,

WC
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 09, 2005 - 08:09 AM UTC
I saw this kit a the Hobby LObby in Arlington. Is that where you picked her up? Anyway, I built the Titanic with my ex-wifwe a few years back and hated the kit, so other than warships..... From memory though. Semi-gloss is the way to go...especially with the black.I am sure there are photo-etched parts for her. Just get the scale and check out Tom's MOdelworks, Gold Medal MOdels and White ensign models as all three of those companies specialize in ship stuff. Trident hobbies is a good place to look for these things, though sometimes you can find some of the sets at Great MOdels or Roll models.

As to assembly. I use photo etch only so I may differ. Generally I build the superstructure as a separate kit and add the PE and everything prior to painting. After I assemble the kit, (deck and hull have been painted) the last thing i do is lay the deck rails. I have done it both ways. Prepainted the rails and painted after assembly. Either way has been satisfactory, but then again I'm using the crayano -whatever superglue which doesn't really eract with the paint all that much. If you go plastic rails, if you have a fairly steady hand, I would paint rails after assembly as this will cover glue shine
WildCard
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 945 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 09, 2005 - 09:01 AM UTC
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply. I picked up the kit from N.Richlandhills.

I also agree on the semi-gloss colors.

So far in my search of all the companies you suggest, I have not found any 1/400 scale QM2 PE yet. The only one I found is the WEM general railing (even this one is not the correct railing). If anyone know there's link I would appreciated!!

Also, I would like to add a modern helicopter on the heli pad. Any suggestion on that?

Thanks!!

WC
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 09, 2005 - 05:28 PM UTC
just type in white ensign models in your search engine and they will come up. I think Trident might carry them. 400 scale helicoptor probably only military available. should be lots of 400 scale stuff for military out there you might be able to convert
 _GOTOTOP