_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Flight Deck Pad Eyes
abbiesz71
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 38 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2005 - 07:20 PM UTC
Howdy again. Wasn't sure where to post this so I figured I would start here. Does anyone know the distance between Pad Eyes on a modern Flight Deck? I have a 1/144 EA-6B that I would like to mount in it's "Natural Environment". Thanks for the assist.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 06:37 AM UTC
Not a clue, but I think someone makes one in 72nd scale and you could just half it for your scale. Now on my 350 scale Nimitz, they are 7mm apart so I would estimate 15 to 16mm apart would be fairly close
lscrep
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 19 posts
Model Shipwrights: 8 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 11:58 AM UTC
just a note they are not "pad eyes" they are tie downs.
Normally a pad eye is a welded plate containing a hole through which the bolt of a shackle may be attached for rigging somthing such as a refueling rig, or lift etc. "Tie Downs on the other hand are designed to accept the hook part of aircarft tie down chains.
Wayne USN ret.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 10:16 PM UTC
Hi Wayne

Welcome aboard Armorama!
Thank you for your explanation to Abbie on the tie Downs "issue"

Can you tell us what are your modeling interests?

Skipper
lscrep
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 19 posts
Model Shipwrights: 8 posts
Posted: Friday, October 21, 2005 - 04:29 AM UTC
I am into all models of all kinds. Spent 20 yrs on active duty, 3 carriers. one oiler,,Flag duty,NROTC Instructor, Plankowner on Diego Garcia. etc.
Currently have a large backlog of ships to do. Including trumpeter CVN68 which I will do as CVN69 Ike. I was a plankowner on Ike. Also love naval aviations and figure modeling. Both of which I'm currently working on. A member of Wings n Wheels IPMS chapter in W. Springfield,Ma.
Wayne CPO,USN ret.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Friday, October 21, 2005 - 05:04 AM UTC
Thanks Wayne

We are currently having a Campaign called "Garry Beebe's Dreadnoughts" (in honour of one of our dearest mebers who passed away this year) and we are about to start a "Garry Beebe's Flattops" Campaign!

It's all about wings in the navy (any scale, full hull, waterline, carrier dios, navy planes dios or alone.... and so on!) starting in January - perhaps it's a good motivator and we always welcome info right "from the horses mouth" - give it a though!
"Garry Beebe's Flattops" Campaign

Once again Welcome and if anything is needed, just ask!

Skipper

EDIT: How rude of me, Wayne!
Sorry, but I got carried away with the Flattops Campaign and forgot my manners!
It's always great to have another sailor on the ranks - and you may even find here, at least, another former carrier member: Dave O'Meara (Grumpyoldman), which by the way, I have already met and he is a great guy and a good friend!
I hope you feel great here!
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Friday, October 21, 2005 - 07:21 AM UTC
Hi Wayne. Welcome to armorama. Glad you found us as we are mostly tanks. THere are a few of us who are ship fanatics as well. I built the Big Nimitz this past spring. I added the Toms PE set and a couple extra boxes of the planes, but I built mine as the Nimitz with the F-4 Phantoms. Easy kit to assemble goes to gether like a dream and looks absolutely fabulous when complete. The Tom's PE set gives you several options, so making her into Ike should be no problem. I know Gold Medal MOdels came out with a supercarrier decal sheet so if you are not into painting the numbers on, this should cover this. If you have any questions about the kit, feel free to ask and I'll "try to dredge up old memories" :-)
 _GOTOTOP