_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Etched railing help
tomglover
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 99 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 08:00 AM UTC
I bought an Eduard 1:350 etched railing set for my US carrier a while ago and decided to try them out , but am finding them impossibly hard to work with. I can't even seem to be able to get them off the sprue with out them bending . Has anyone had any luck with these and do you have any tips on getting them on the model?
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 09:22 AM UTC
Get a pair of superfine sharp hobby scissors to remove parts from the sheet. The easier they are to bend, the better they are. Those steel ones are hard to bend and won't shape well. If they get bent more than you want, usually just pressing them flat seems to work. Using PE is definately a skill requiring much patience and the ability to work very slow and careful.
tomglover
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 99 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 08:04 PM UTC
Thanks for the help Steve
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 09:47 PM UTC
I've had a wee bit of experience having built a 350 scale Missouri, Arizona, Essex, King George V, Bismarck, Tirpitz, Yamato, and Nimitz using them. Would never consider not using them because despite the pain in the butt, the end result makes for a stunning model. Planning on the Hornet, New Jersey and Saratoga and have the PE sets already ensconced in the boxes.
 _GOTOTOP