_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Paint on solder?
rokket2001
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 353 posts
Model Shipwrights: 331 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 12:34 PM UTC
I'm about to make some 1:72 brass rails to replace plastic (revell U-boat Wintergarten rails). I know I'm going to go thru 3+ prototypes an am a-scared. BUT, I've just heard about a sticky paint-on solder...is it true, does anyone know anything about it?

Apparently you almost "glue" the parts together with it, and then hit it with a torch and the stuff flows right together nice and thin and voila, you are done. It might just be a fantasy.

One of the things I'm scared of is some of the joints melting and falling apart as I do new ones (heat transfer, tho wire may be ana excellent heat-sink) ? ? ?
redneck
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,602 posts
Model Shipwrights: 665 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 09:02 AM UTC
If it exists it must be very rare as I have taken 2 classes for soldering (1 for wire and 1 for pipes) and have never seen anything like it.

Now using normal solder you should be able to try covering the parts that will be joined with a thine layer of solder then touch the 2 parts together and apply heat. This joint may not always be the strongest but should get the job done.

As for the joints already finished melting don’t worry about it. as long as you are using a soldering iron it shouldn’t heat the brass up that much. It all you have is a torch you could ether get a special soldering tip for it or use it to heat up the end of an old screwdriver and use that.

Now if your afraid your screw up trying to solder it you should be able to find some glues that will hold brass to brass. The joint probably wont be as strong as solder but should be easer.
If you ask at a hardware store they should be able to tell you what you need.

I hope this will be of some help to you.
CRS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
Model Shipwrights: 11 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 09:24 AM UTC
This stuff ? Not so rare
http://www.midwayautosupply.com/detailedproductdescription.asp?9319
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 03:32 PM UTC
Ahhh the old "liquid solder by permetex" Graet stuff, kind of a lead paste. I used to use it for auto body repair rather than the old bondo. never thought about it to hold fine pieces of brass together, it just might work. another choice might be to use the Super glue to hold pieces, you'll need it to afix the part to the plastic and it glues brass to brass prety well too.
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 981 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 10:44 PM UTC
There use to be a product called "Swifts".... it was a thick paint like substance, solder and flux together, you painted it on, hit it with a torch and you were done.

I have to admit I haven't see it in years though.

If you find it, let us know...LOL
Oh, make sure you clean your joints, and use "heat sinks" on/between your previous solder joints, and the one you are soldering.

rokket2001
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 353 posts
Model Shipwrights: 331 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 01:05 AM UTC
Jacob - Thank you. I'll be using a soldering iron, so no worries there.

CRS + Blaster76 - YES! I wasn't dreaming. THANK YOU!

Grumpy - heat sinks, excellent.

Thanks guys, it's a BIG help, really appreciate it. May all your seams disappear and all your joints weld quickly.

redneck
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,602 posts
Model Shipwrights: 665 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 01:46 AM UTC
Well I’ll be

Sorry about the misinformation there Rokket2001. I really didn’t think the stuff existed.

Dave I think I’m going to see if I can find some of this or anything like it. If I do I’ll let you know.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 06:55 AM UTC
Jackob....check in a car parts place , one of the large chain stores.
 _GOTOTOP