_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Saratoga Takes Shape
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 574 posts
Model Shipwrights: 530 posts
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2005 - 03:02 AM UTC
My 1/350 USS Saratoga is starting to look like an aircraft carrier...

More progress pictures posted in my gallery.

Comments and critiques welcomed...
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2005 - 08:25 AM UTC
Definitly some first class work. Are you going to use a PE set or scratch it. I think I've got the Toms for mine and of course the YMW backdate. I got the Iron shipwrights Buffaloes and vindicators and found that I can modify the Dauntlas' into Vindicators by shaving off a section of the main wing and cutting up the canopy a bit off the Trumpeter planes. (Still need to check a few things more to verify..I know the Vindy had a two blade prop, but that's no big deal).. PLan to check out converting Widcats into buffaloes, but have't gotten around to that either. Got a large box of Devastators though as well as both the Hornet and Lexington kit supplied ones. How far did you have to go when redoing the front section of the deck. Did y0u scratch that out or use the YMW kit for that. I'm doing the Lex so I won't be redoing deck.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2005 - 08:50 AM UTC
Very nice job. I always liked the Lex and Sara. I'm sure you know about it but don't forget the vertical black stripe up the stack to show she's the Sara.

MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 01:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Definitly some first class work. Are you going to use a PE set or scratch it. I think I've got the Toms for mine and of course the YMW backdate. I got the Iron shipwrights Buffaloes and vindicators and found that I can modify the Dauntlas' into Vindicators by shaving off a section of the main wing and cutting up the canopy a bit off the Trumpeter planes. (Still need to check a few things more to verify..I know the Vindy had a two blade prop, but that's no big deal).. PLan to check out converting Widcats into buffaloes, but have't gotten around to that either. Got a large box of Devastators though as well as both the Hornet and Lexington kit supplied ones. How far did you have to go when redoing the front section of the deck. Did y0u scratch that out or use the YMW kit for that. I'm doing the Lex so I won't be redoing deck.

Thanks,appreciate the kind words. She looks better from farther away, however!

The island and turrets are resin copies from the YMW Lexington kit. I actually ended up buying the YMW backdate set too - but just for the PE (though I ended up using a couple of the resin parts too). The regular PE will be Gold Medal - I used it on my Lexington build and it's a great set.

I'm putting 3 Buffalos, 3 Helldivers, 3 Vindicators and 6 Devastators on the deck. The ISW planes are rough - but I'm going to go with them.

The flight deck was easy - I just cut it to match the curve of the hull and sanded it flush!

Last night I got the stripe painted on the funnel, then mounted the funnel to the flight deck. Tonights project will be finishing the island and giving it a final coat of Standard grey.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 02:15 AM UTC
Hi Martin!

It looks good - now you just need to add and add more details to her!
I have one question, dough:
- Where did you find the Heldivers? (and I am thinking of the biplane version, of course)

To Steve:
Hmmm I think that converting the Wildcats in to Buffalo's may be difficult - but I would say, sacrifice one and see the result - than, if it's convincing, cast some more in resin

Skipper
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 06:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Martin!

It looks good - now you just need to add and add more details to her!
I have one question, dough:
- Where did you find the Heldivers? (and I am thinking of the biplane version, of course)

To Steve:
Hmmm I think that converting the Wildcats in to Buffalo's may be difficult - but I would say, sacrifice one and see the result - than, if it's convincing, cast some more in resin

Skipper

Skipper -

Iron Shipwright sells Helldivers (biplanes), Buffalos and Vindicators. A buddy of mine picked them up at the IPMS national convention for me. Out of 30 planes, I was able to use 9... Still, they are a good place to start - better than having to scratchbuild them!

skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 06:32 AM UTC
Thanks for sharing Martin

It will look great dressed with all those colourfull planes

Skipper
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2005 - 02:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Very nice job. I always liked the Lex and Sara. I'm sure you know about it but don't forget the vertical black stripe up the stack to show she's the Sara.

You mean this black stripe?

_GOTOTOP