_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
My entry for Dreadnaughts
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Model Shipwrights: 36 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 02:50 AM UTC
Well, I sat down and decided to have a go at the Hasegawa 1/700 ISE with the seaplane flightdeck on back. This is the old kit Hasegawa did and I plan to do it with the seaplanes on her.

One question for all you salts...What exactly was the seaplane intended for use on the ISE and did the wings have any folds for storage? I have done some preliminary research, but since Japanese WWII anything is not my forte, I will spend more time researching than actually building.

Oh, and I have the generic GMM 1/700 Japanese battleship PE to use on this as well. Should be a "blast".
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 03:38 AM UTC
Hi Jacques!

Here's some interesting reading (never hurts):
http://www.combinedfleet.com/Ise.htm

In this page you'll come across this sentence:
The ISE, as now modified, can carry 22 aircraft. The concept of operations calls for the modified ISE-class BB/CVs to accompany the Carrier Striking Force and catapult their complement of Yokosuka D4Y2 Suisei ("Judy") dive-bombers and Aichi E16A Zuiun ("Paul") seaplanes that are capable of diving attacks. These will add another 44 dive-bombers to the Striking Force. The aircraft cannot not take off from, or land on, the small flight deck; rather, they are to be catapult-launched and land either on conventional carriers or land bases. The ISE's final aircraft allowance calls for 14 E16A and eight D4Y2.

I guess this answers your question!
Also the Generic IJN Battleship PE set and also some IJN handrails will do the trick

Skipper
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 04:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, I sat down and decided to have a go at the Hasegawa 1/700 ISE with the seaplane flightdeck on back. This is the old kit Hasegawa did and I plan to do it with the seaplanes on her.

One question for all you salts...What exactly was the seaplane intended for use on the ISE and did the wings have any folds for storage? I have done some preliminary research, but since Japanese WWII anything is not my forte, I will spend more time researching than actually building.

Oh, and I have the generic GMM 1/700 Japanese battleship PE to use on this as well. Should be a "blast".

Well welcome to the salty side of the Big A, Jacques!
Your entry sonds very exciting, and we'll be waiting to see and hear of your progress on the build...
Gunny
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 04:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

To elaborate on what Skipper posted. The Japanese has a policy of using an aircraft carriers aircraft as strike aircraft whenever possible. In order to do this they use search aircraft from battleships and cruisers for search duties. They even developed specialized cruisers, the Tone and Chikuma, that carried many search aircraft. These were the cruisers that did most of the searching at Midway. After the carrier losses at Midway the Japanese had to develope hybrid carriers from battleships, like the Ise. That's where the aircraft that Skipper posted about comes in.

Prior to the development of aircraft carriers a battleships aircraft did several functions. Searching was one. Another was spotting for the big guns. This would allow the ship to fire at targets outside visual range. Finally utillity work, like ferrying personnel ashore, carrying the mail, etc.

You might be interested in this site.

http://www.combinedfleet.com/ise_c.htm

skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 06:26 AM UTC
Thanks for the add on Rodger!

It's also very interesting, the IJN Ise, because it is a model that is a bridge between our current and next... warship campaign

Skipper
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 07:27 AM UTC
Ise 's sister ship the Hyuga was similarly modified as well as the Heavy Cruiser Mogami. None of these modified ships were considered to be very successul, but as the Japanese aircraft carrier fleet (4 out of 6 main cariers) had been sunk at Midway, they had to learn to be innovative. As to folding wings, most of the float planes folded upward in the middle of each main wing. It is definitely an interesting choice for a build in the Dreadnaughts campaign. With a PE set, it will definitely warm this old timer up considerably. I built this old sea dog back in the mid seventies.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 08:53 AM UTC
Thanks guys. Mainly I was looking for what actual aircraft type the hybrids were supposed to carry. Most info I had found was vague. I am assuming that the Ise never got around to collecting her aircraft before she was stripped of the handeling rails and catapaults and had all those AA guns added in the back?

So, Judy's and Paul's, eh? Sounds like fun. And the wings folded in the middle? Should be even better. Off to the workbench to make some "meatballs".
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 02:46 AM UTC
Ok, I am getting into this build (probably too much, I spent several hours last night doing research...should have building.)

Anyhow, I think my airwing will be Jake's (from the kit supplied aircraft) and Judy's (from the Tamiya accessories). Now, does anyone have pictures of a Judy with Floats? Also, as I mentioned above, any pictures of either the Jake or the Judy with folded wings?

I did find a really good source for building the older Hasegawa kit .

Also, any recomendations for improving the AAA setup? I have seen both the WEM updates (PE) and the Skywave Injection plastic, any preferences or help?

Thanks guys!
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 07:11 AM UTC
I built a 48th scale model of a Jake many, many moons ago and the wing break is roughtly dead center and goes up 90 degrees. couldn't find any pictures or drawings that shows this however. Paint of course is that green color IJN Naval. Don't know about the WEM or skywave deal, price might be a thought, don't know if the skywave is any better than kit supplied pieces. try asking some of these questions on the modelwarship.com website. those guys are pretty good about answers and you can usually get some good advice there. at the bottom of your post there is a box you can check that will notify you when a response is made
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 02:17 PM UTC
Jacques, try linkname
This should give you some insight on the Judy. Also since you are familiar with Combined Fleet website, the is a section on Japanese naval aircraft.
Interesting fact on the Mogami, the aircraft were removed for most probably it's biggest battle, Surigao Strait. Ironic that a cruiser converted to a hybred aircraft carrier was sunk by a battleship in a gun duel.

Kenny
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 02:19 PM UTC
Sorry about that. The link works but it doesn't tell where you're going.
j-aircraft.com
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 03:55 AM UTC
ok, I have actually started my build of this unique ship.

First, man, there is not a lot out there on the ISE/Hyuga after they were converted. I mean, there are some pictures, but very few and far between, and the drawings on them are not terribly detailed. Not that I need more stuff to do.

Also, this older kit of the ISE needs a lot of love. Here is what I plan to add:

Gold Medal Models 1/700 Japanese batttleship PE

White Ensign Models 1/700 IJN AAA weapons PE

Tamiya Light vessel ordnance and Heavy vessel ordnance

Tamiya WWII IJN aircraft.

Skywave detail set 3 (for new turrets).

Had I to do this again, I would have just picked up the newer version of the kit as it has much better details from the start and would have really only required the GMM details for the catapaults and railings.

SIGH.
 _GOTOTOP