_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Original North Carolina design
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2005 - 11:46 AM UTC
Friday on the Military channel they did a top ten warships program. The North Carolina made the cut. I was interested to find out that the original design for the NC called for 3 Quad 14" main guns. This was only changed by a clause that stated that if Japan broke the Washington Treaty, the NC class could be up gunned to 16". I'm planning on getting the 1/350 NC, this might be the version I want to build. Does anyone have any drawings of the quad 14" mounts?

Kenny
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 10:32 AM UTC
I never knew that. I have some warship books that are really great and show developmental and preposed ships as well as original configurations but I have never seen anything on the NC Would this be 3 turrets of 4 guns, or an additional 4th turret.?
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 12:34 PM UTC
Three turrets with 4 14" guns. Go to the NavSource web site. It has some great pics of the developmental models. NavSource

Kenny
Visit this Community
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 398 posts
Model Shipwrights: 292 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 06:41 AM UTC
Hi Kenny,

There were quite a few design variations for the NORTH CAROLINA class, using various combinations of twin, triple, and quad turrets of 14" and 16" guns. Have a look at Norman Friedman's "U.S. Battleships" books and you'll find basic line drawings of nearly all of them.

Cheers,
John Snyder
White Ensign Models
http://WhiteEnsignModels.com
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 07:09 AM UTC
Yes. After the London naval treaty in the early 30s the British tried very hard to come up with lower limits on the size, and gun power, of future battleships. They lobbied hard for 12", then for 14". The Brits could only get the Americans interested in the idea, and that's why the original design for the NC/Washingtons and the King George V class had 14" turrets. Both were supposed to have quads but the KGVs had to cut down the design to two quads and a twin. The Americans kept their options open so that if nobody else but the Brits went for 14" they could up the ante to 16".
 _GOTOTOP