_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
1:350 Ticonderoga CV-14 Detail Help
MMcLean
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 348 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 02:52 AM UTC
Hi all,
I just got the new Trumpeter 1:350th scale USS Ticonderoga yesterday. Let me just say that its an amazing kit. Now I have a few questions regarding detail sets.

I want to put railing and catwalks on it and maybe enhance the radar on the kit. Now can anyone recommend some good ( preferably cheap too) PE sets that I are readily available.
I would prefer to keep the total cost of PE under say $50 USD. Im just looking to enhance the kit with the basics, I don't really want to go overboard on this. I'd like it too look like a decent representation of the Tico when my grandfather served on it back in WWII. This will be a gift for him.

Thanks in advance for any help

Regards
Matt
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 08:12 AM UTC
I built the Essex which is a small hull version. I used the Tom's set for mine. I'm sure it would work for yours, check out Gold Medal MOdels as well. The only place I could locate the Tom's set is at Trident and Roll Models carries the Gold Medal MOdel's version. I think both are sponsors and have links set up.
MMcLean
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 09:20 AM UTC
Steve,
Thanks for the reply. I'll look into that set. Now I have another question for you or anyone else.

In the Tom's catalog, they have 2 different sets of railings. There is a 2 rail set ( cat. no. 3527 and a 3 rail set( cat no 3501). Which one would be correct for the Tico and whats the difference between the two.

Also, I assume that most Essex class and all carriers of that era had catwalks under the flight deck. Am I right in assuming this or not.

Thanks again
Matt
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 12:58 PM UTC
If you get either of the sets, rails ae included. You won't need to buy anything else unless you are wanting to super detail it. If you were to go individual sets....get a three railed set, but you won't get any of the super cool details like the underside of the elevator, the radio masts along the side, or the radars Yes there are catwalks under the flight deck. The Tom's set has those included as well. There are also some two railed pieces that go around the elevator and are drop down for the front of the flight deck.
MMcLean
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 02:08 PM UTC
Steve,
Thanks for the help. After looking at the prices of the individual items and your convincing of all the details, I think I'm gonna splurge.

Thanks again
Matt
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2005 - 11:04 AM UTC
I have generally found that using one of those two brands that are made specifically for the kit to be worth the $30 - 40 price. I did splurge this time when I ordered that Lion's Roar set for the North Carolina. It literally had everything you could ever want including gun barrels and propellers. I got it on sale for around $55. I think it normally is $72. I love these 350 scale ships and would never consider not using a PE set. They just put icing on the cake .
MMcLean
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2005 - 11:47 AM UTC
I can see what you mean by the icing on the cake. Just looking at the kit oob, its so plain and none of the fine detail is there. Compared to the effort I put into the 1/35 armor I build, I can't see myself building this just oob :-)

Regards
Matt
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, November 14, 2005 - 10:29 AM UTC
If I remember, the PE was easier on the Essex than any other Battleship kit. There is less bending and shaping of rails. It's a great way to get started. Those ships also look great on a mantle[iece or in my case on top of my Entertainment center. I put both my Essex and Missouri there. The Nimits is so big, I've got it on a dresser in the spare room. Eventually the Enterprise will join her there.
 _GOTOTOP