_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
The Bama after Katrina
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2005 - 02:28 PM UTC
Hey guys. I was doing some research on the USS Alabama and went to the museum's web site. The museum is closed until further notice because of damage by Hurricane Katrina. There was a 10' storm surge that when the water receeded left the Bama with a 5% list. Here's a picture taken on the ship. They also had a lot of damage to buildings and their aircraft collection. The USS Drum was left undamaged.

Kenny
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2005 - 10:51 PM UTC
Hi Kenny

Yes, this and other pictures after Katrina were posted here on Armorama (or linked, not sure)...
The hangar where were the aircraft was in a really bad state as well as some of the exibits (remeber one aircraft upside down on top of other!)

Skipper
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Monday, November 14, 2005 - 01:19 AM UTC
If nothing else showed me the power of katrina the damage done to the Alabama did. I know she propably would have ridden it out better at sea but still, to think that storm was able to put a list on such a huge ship is pretty amazing. It's really a shame about the planes damaged or destroyed in that hangar.

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, November 14, 2005 - 10:41 AM UTC
The Bama is not a floater. She rests on a buildup of concrete and mud. The storm surge more than likely washed out the dirt / mud part which caused the shift. That's my understanding from my friend who lives there. As to the additional stuff, that took a hard hit.
 _GOTOTOP