_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Colors for the USS Hornet
redneck
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,602 posts
Model Shipwrights: 665 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 08:00 AM UTC
I知 trying to figure out what colors I need for the USS Hornet I値l be building for the flattops campaign and am having some trouble.

The color guide lists revell paint and I知 unable to get that so I知 trying to come up with the colors in Testers, Model Master, Tamiya, or Airfix. Of course with the Navy colors the actual color name is good as Model Master carrys most of them.

I知 painting it as id was during the battle of midway (MS12 modified) and am unable to figure out what color the inside of the hangers are? The chart lists it as being a grayish blue but its not one of the colors used outside.

Also I need the colors for the Douglas fighters.

And I知 not positive about the deck. Should it be painted 20-B Deck Blue or not?

And one last thing while I知 asking. Just what is the correct red for the bottom of the ships?

I want to try and order them early so I know they get here on time for the campaign incase we get snow storms.

Thanks.
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 574 posts
Model Shipwrights: 530 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 12:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I知 trying to figure out what colors I need for the USS Hornet I値l be building for the flattops campaign and am having some trouble.

The color guide lists revell paint and I知 unable to get that so I知 trying to come up with the colors in Testers, Model Master, Tamiya, or Airfix. Of course with the Navy colors the actual color name is good as Model Master carrys most of them.

I知 painting it as id was during the battle of midway (MS12 modified) and am unable to figure out what color the inside of the hangers are? The chart lists it as being a grayish blue but its not one of the colors used outside.

Also I need the colors for the Douglas fighters.

And I知 not positive about the deck. Should it be painted 20-B Deck Blue or not?

And one last thing while I知 asking. Just what is the correct red for the bottom of the ships?

I want to try and order them early so I know they get here on time for the campaign incase we get snow storms.

Thanks.

The Ms12 mod that Hornet carried consisted of (from top to bottom)

5N Navy Blue
50 Ocean Gray
5H Haze Gray

The Haze Gray is the lightest color on the island, the Ocean Gray is the ligher color on the hull.

The flight deck was Norfolk 250N flight deck stain. The steel decks were 20B. The hangar deck was Deck Gray, the bulkheads and overhead (walls and roof) were white. The boot strip was black, while the underwater part of the hull was Norfolk 65A anti-fouling red.

Model Master sells (most of) these paints in thier Acrylic line. I know you didn't mention them as a choice, but I'd recommend you go with the White Ensign line of paints - you can order those their online shop at http://whiteensignmodels.com/

The aircraft should be blue/gray over light gray, except for the bottom of the folding part of the TBD wings should be blue-gray, not light gray. No red dot in the center of the markings, no red/white rudder stripes.

HTH
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 03:12 PM UTC
Hey Jacob,

Model Master Arcyl has the USN colors. So does LifeColor. You can get a full Warship color set from LifeColor from http://www.militaryhobbies.com

Kenny
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 07:42 PM UTC
The white ensign colors are very accurate and trustworthy, but they come in little tinlets and with the price and shipping, they may rock your heels. I use the MM myself. For the hull I use flat MM insigna red. The aircraft I like the MM #1720 Intermediate blue for the upper surfaces and then a white for the lower surfaces. Hanger deck is a very light grey / almost white
redneck
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,602 posts
Model Shipwrights: 665 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 12:32 PM UTC
Thanks Martin that痴 a big help.

I値l probably get model master paints as I need to order a few other supplies as well and I don稚 think any of the online shops I use carry White ensign or Life colors.

I think the only color Model Master doesn稚 list is Deck Gray. Any one know of a close color I could use for it?

Steve I値l keep using insigna red for the bottom of the ships then. I took a stab in the dark and used it for the USS Pennsylvania but didn稚 know if it was right.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 07:56 PM UTC
For my Esex, I mixed my deck stain color. Keep in mind, the deck is wood covered and stained. Stain bleaches in the sun and wears off. First I sprayed my deck a tan color. Then I took the Intermediate blue and added the dark navy blue to it in about equal parts. Sprayed a light coat on getting heavier around non plande trafficked areas and fadng near the back part of the deck where they land. Put just a light fade at the bow end where planes take off. KInd of match your color to the side of the box art
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 574 posts
Model Shipwrights: 530 posts
Posted: Friday, November 18, 2005 - 03:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Martin that痴 a big help.

I値l probably get model master paints as I need to order a few other supplies as well and I don稚 think any of the online shops I use carry White ensign or Life colors.

I think the only color Model Master doesn稚 list is Deck Gray. Any one know of a close color I could use for it?

Steve I値l keep using insigna red for the bottom of the ships then. I took a stab in the dark and used it for the USS Pennsylvania but didn稚 know if it was right.

Gunship Gray (or something along those lines) should do just fine for the hangar deck.

Insignia Red is a little "too red" for my tastes, but then that's just me. Here is what the WEM Norfolk 65A looks like on a model.

BTW, here is an online list of Testors MM paints I found. Note that it's not complete, it doesn't list the USN colors:

http://www.misterart.com/store/view/001/group_id/7398/Testors-Model-Master-Acrylic-Paints.htm

They have both Gunship Gray and the Blue-Gray for the planes...

gunship gray Item # 4944752
u.s. navy blue gray Item # 4944847
 _GOTOTOP