_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
REVIEW
  US Navy Aircaft Carriers 1922-1945 Prewar Classes
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 - 12:45 AM UTC
Ok, this time it is not a Submarine... Not even a Model. Yes, it is a book! With the “Garry Beebe’s Flattops Campaign” starting in January 1st, I was tempted by the colour plates of this book and bought it at one of our fewer and fewer LHS (kitmania).

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 - 12:59 AM UTC
Thanks Rui!
Perfect timing with the Flattops Campaign right around the corner...good work, and a good book!
Gunny
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 - 05:07 AM UTC
Looks like a good book, as usual, from Osprey. Just out of curiosity what color does he say the pre-war Yorktown's deck was?

skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 - 05:16 AM UTC
Hi Rodger!

It doesn't
But I can check at my references at home and let you know

It is a fault in this book, the absence of top views (nice catch)

Skipper

EDIT: I took advantage of a little coffee break and re-read the part on the Yorktown Class, and I quote "The First two ships of the class, Yorktown and Enterprise, were commissioned in 1937 and 1938 respectively."

If it wore Measure 1:
"Wood decks, except on submarines, shall not be darkened pending further instructions. The best paint or stain for this purpose is being investigated."
Quote from:
http://www.shipcamouflage.com/measure_1.htm

Measure 12:
"Wood decks except on submarines and carriers shall be darkened to the color Deck Blue. Deck Blue paint shall be used in lieu of stain for this purpose."
Quote from:
http://www.shipcamouflage.com/measure_12.htm
PS: This page has a picture of USS Yorktown (CV-5) in MS 12

I'll check some of my colour pictures and tell you tonigth or tomorrow
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 - 09:27 AM UTC
Rodger prewar decks were stained with a mahogany stain which is a reddish brown color. I was able to actually find a White Ensigns model tinlet of it here in the States at a model show. Check out Trident to see if they have it in stock. The book looks excellent Rui. Glad to see you mentioned the Squadron book. Squadron also has two other good ones out. One covers the Essex class and another the Nuclear Enterprise. I picked up a great book at one of those mall bookstores called "The Worlds Greatest Aircraft Carriers" by Anthony Preston. ISBN 1-57145-261-3 published in 2000 by Thunder Bay Press whcih takes us to present day.
desertmole
Visit this Community
Kabul, Afghanistan
KitMaker: 53 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 - 06:21 PM UTC
I don't believe Trident carries Colourcoats. They are available through the Ship Camouflage Site run by Randy Short and company. I ordered some paints from them in the past and was pleased with their service. Here is a link:

http://www.shipcamouflage.com/
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 - 06:43 PM UTC
Desert Mole has something there. I can't find any mainstreamers who carry it. If you use modelmasters try mixing about 2 parts signal brown with 1 part burnt sienna and it will be in the ballpark.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 12:06 AM UTC
Hi all

First things first, so here is my reply to Rodger:
Rodger, I took a look at three books with WWII colour pictures (Warbirds 15 & 16 US Aircraft of WWII and Korea in colour and the review mentioned Ariwing 1939-1946) and I have found several colour pictures of Yorktown, but the "wrong" one: CV-10!
It's interesting to see that some of the pcitures show an absolute pristine blue satin and on others the wood is already showing a lot - this would be a highly challenging weathering process to make
I have to read the Friedman's book and see if he states the accurate measure for Yorktown - give a little bit more time to do it

To Steve Joyce:
I had to make reference to other books - as I told in the review the bar was probably set to high, with Norman Friedman's book... but there are other cheap books (cheap price - no second intention in this remark) that could easily complement this, like the one that I mentioned, the one's that you also mention (although the Essex Class is not covered in this number) and of course Classic Warships Books:
Book #9 USS Yorktown Class Carriers
Book #11 USS Lexington Class Carriers

For these Classic Warships Books (Warships Pictorial), Colourcoat Paints and some interesting reading, I would suggest:

Skipper

skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 06:36 AM UTC
I have to concur with Desertmole 100%
Keep safe Mr!

Skipper
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 574 posts
Model Shipwrights: 530 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 07:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't believe Trident carries Colourcoats. They are available through the Ship Camouflage Site run by Randy Short and company. I ordered some paints from them in the past and was pleased with their service. Here is a link:

Pacific Front Hobbies carries WEM paints as well

http://www.pacificfront.com/
 _GOTOTOP