_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
New U.S. Destroyer
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 03:29 AM UTC
Here is a drawing of a propossed new U.S ship. Personally I think it was rammed by an ugly ship, which then backed up and rammed it again. The lower hull looks like that of a pre-dreadnaught, and the upperworks looks like a kids drawing of an American Civil War Confederate Ironclad. Give me an old battleship, as far as looks, any day.

md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
Model Shipwrights: 248 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 03:46 AM UTC
By time you put that much metal in the water, making it anti-radar reflective seems kind of foolish.
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 05:55 AM UTC
I think the Navy's plan is to either have the enemy die of laughter or think that aliens have landed. What ever it is, they missed the boat (hehehe) big time. The only saving grace of the DDX project is the return of the gun destroyer.

Kenny
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,870 posts
Model Shipwrights: 40 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 09:00 AM UTC
Wow.Thought a much lower profile would be in order.Doesn't look like it would handle well in heavy seas either.
hmmm
CRS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
Model Shipwrights: 11 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 09:05 AM UTC
Is that the proposed U.S.S. Leno ? :-) :-) :-)
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
Model Shipwrights: 25 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 10:50 AM UTC
In real life thwe proffile is lower and looks alot better. Plus there are 2 differnt designs being built for the LCS ( Litoral Combat Ship.) Bathe Iron Works with one design and I think Ingals in Passagula (may be wrong) will build each of their designs. The biggest bonus though is not only crew size and comfort (95 men), but also modular weapons systems for different missions. It'll be odd to see to tied up next each other with different modules on each one. HTH STUG
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,314 posts
Model Shipwrights: 21 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 11:20 AM UTC
Rodger

Thanks for the post -- interesting item for sure.

Have to agree with you though,-- seeing the films of those big gun turrets swinging out on the older battle wagons or cruisers just makes the hair on the back of one's neck stand up. These new designs are lethal though, (and I guess in war), that's the bottom line.

Good thread!

Steve
Augie
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 711 posts
Model Shipwrights: 74 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 12:09 PM UTC
It looks a bit similar to the 'stealth' ships built by Norway, I believe it is. Would be interesting to see what the propulsion is on this new one.
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
Model Shipwrights: 248 posts
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2005 - 08:33 AM UTC
My guess, pure speculation, is a gas turbine like many of the Navy's other medium size combantants today. Steam is too heavy and noisy, Nuclear is also heavy and EXPENSIVE. Gt's are relatively light, inexpensive, reliable and respond quickly to calls for more speed.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 01:48 AM UTC
no need to buy a PE set for that one. Bring it on, finally an opportunity to build an OOB kit :-) :-) :-)

I think I'll pass if and when they do one of these.
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
Model Shipwrights: 25 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 02:09 AM UTC
On both designs propulsion is eletric plant with 2 to 3 GTG's (Gas turbine Generator) for generation on electricity. 95 man crew and modular weapon systems. most already said.lol These are the future and the "main gun" Is a "rail gun" using electro-magnets to sling a round to about 22 miles. Its the only thing that stays when the platform modules are changed. STUG
 _GOTOTOP