_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
PHOTOS: WALKAROUND
  Slava, Kresta II and Krivak-Skipper's Surveillance
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 05:57 PM UTC
Hi All

Following the latest News Report by our dear Jim Rae (jimbrae), I remembered that I had took some pictures while on a surveillance mission back in 1989, during my Portuguese Navy days.
These were taken by me, are not the official Surveillance Photos, of course. They were taken with a Canon AE-1 Program, with a 2X teleconverter and a 70-210 zoom.

Although I got carried away by Jim''s post, these vessel are not what I remembered - I am getting old :-)

They are a Slava Class CG "Marshal Ustinov", a Kresta II CG Admiral Makarov and a Krivak II FFG (can''t remember the name).
We "received" these enemy vessels (we were in 1989, when the NATO/Warsaw Pact was still "alive and fighting") from British and French surveillance team in the Biscay Bay area, follow the Soviet around the Atlantic part of the Iberian Peninsula and delivered them to HMS York in the Gibraltar Area.
The Soviets never allowed us nearer than 1000 yards, and whenever we got a little closer, they speed up and maintained the distance

Those were the days - I really miss the Ocean

Although not top notch pictures, I really like them and they bring good memories.

Enjoy,

Skipper

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 06:58 PM UTC
Most excellent, Rui, thanks for sharing these with us!!!
What a fantastic experience this must have been! Would you mind if I put these photo's into an album of my own??
Gunny
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,242 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,064 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 07:36 PM UTC
My favorite:

Who did the P-3 belong to?

In regards to weapons placement, taking them into account as well as the design of their aircraft to fly off of unimproved airstrips, it sometimes speaks volumes whether Soviet weapons were defensive or offensive in nature.

Those are some awesome shots Rui! What else do you have in that bag of naval history of yours?
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 07:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Would you mind if I put these photo's into an album of my own??
Gunny

No Mark, I don't mind - if I did, I wouldn't share them

Quoted Text

Those are some awesome shots Rui! What else do you have in that bag of naval history of yours?

:-) :-) Thanks Steve!!
The P-3 Orion were US and Portuguese

I'll have to let (and scan) a lot, but I will share them with all of you!
Hmm I think next will be some US Ships

Skipper
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,242 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,064 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 08:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Those were the days - I really miss the Ocean

I agree, those were the days. The Cold War was a dangerous game, but at least you knew where you stood in the grand scheme of things. I have fond memories of the 1 K Zone....so to speak. Now I'm getting all nostalgic

I can't wait to see what else you have.
 _GOTOTOP