_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
PHOTOS: MODEL
  Another Italeri LCVP
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 06:37 PM UTC
Tommaso was "caught" by me when uploading pictures - the rest is history!
He plans making a Diorama with this wonderfull LCVP! I am looking forward to see it!

Congratulations Tommaso
Enjoy

Skipper

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 981 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 07:48 PM UTC
That certainly is a nicely built model.
Thanks for posting it.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 08:41 PM UTC
Terrific Job, Tommaso!
I have the same kit in my stash waiting for my attention...I will definitely use your pics as a reference!
Thanks for the article, Bro, and Rui, thanks for putting 'er up for us to enjoy!
Gunny
MonkeyGun
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 943 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 09:11 PM UTC
That LCVP is simply stunning ,amazing painting and weathering.

Ian
majorme
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 687 posts
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2006 - 12:45 AM UTC
it looks really wonderful. congratulations.

gr. martijn
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2006 - 02:16 AM UTC
Oh yes, very nice. I assume the dio you mentioned will have some infantry figures leaving it, like perhaps the DML 26th infantry set?

dexter059
Visit this Community
Region de Valparaiso, Chile
KitMaker: 1,569 posts
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2006 - 02:19 AM UTC
ˇˇˇˇˇˇˇImpressive work!!!!!!!

Gotta get one of those.....I....must .......resist..... :-)
tommaso66
Visit this Community
Trieste, Italy
KitMaker: 127 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4 posts
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2006 - 04:09 AM UTC
Thank's all..... Dave, Mark, Ian, Martijn, Rodger and Klaus, for your appreciation,
I'm very glad to enjoy you with my job!

Rodger you're right... for my dio I will use Dragon figures too!

Tommaso
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2006 - 04:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gotta get one of those.....I....must .......resist.....

I CONCUR !
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Model Shipwrights: 476 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 07:13 PM UTC
Hello Tommaso,

For my money, that is the best model weathering finish I have seen, land, sea or air. The mixture of new and old rust on the ramp, the dark gunk along the waterline, excellent

I am impressed that you did not excessively shadow and drybrush this 3-D piece, resulting in the reverse trompe-l'oeil 2-D effect sometimes seen.

There are many articles about weather and washing, but I would like to know your techniques.
liberator
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,086 posts
Model Shipwrights: 93 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 08:29 PM UTC
very nice built boat..specially the weathering. i just hope they'll make more of LCs,PBs and PT boats in a 1/35 scale.
tommaso66
Visit this Community
Trieste, Italy
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 08:36 PM UTC
Hello Fred,
thank's a lot for your compliments! really!

My weathering technique is the sum of varoius and several techniques that quite each modeller knows (filters, light washing, selective washing, dry brushing, light and heavy scraping, diffused wear, old and new rust, metal effect, pastels or chalks, etc.) because published in many articles or magazines.

I would like to explain it all in detail... but my english is not so good in technical words ... so It'would become very difficult (and long) for me!!

However if you want to know something specific (simple questions) I'll try to explain .

Ciao Fred...and sorry!

Tommaso

JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Model Shipwrights: 476 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 06:46 AM UTC
Hi Tommaso,

I have sent the URL to your beautiful model to other sites. A reply that you, and others, might appreciate is

Quoted Text

Yes, I like that Fred. Great, but not overdone, excellent and very perceptible. I will have to say that this type of weathering conditions on this model would only be seen after several months of neglect. One thing the Navy is on top of is the condition of equipment. Lots of Gray paint and lots of manpower to use it kept them looking very nice even under war time conditions.

My only criticism of this project is that the boats were wood bodies, with just a metal bow ramp, so the rust should be confined to the gun shields, ramp, bilge and exhaust holes. The boats did get very grungy from the salt spray and dirt mixtures and any oil or petrol that might have been in the water.

I had the very distinct and unusual thrill of making a blackout nighttime net landing off of Puerto Rico in a training exercise, during my USMC days in l960. I had made several of these boat rides previously, and just the physical intensity of climbing down a cargo net to a bobbing boat, in 10-20 ft swells is scary. Those were made during daylight hours and the total blackout nighttime landing was very much different. The sense of not knowing where the boat was, when coming down the net and then hurtling through the darkness to the shore in a crowded little craft, you lost all sense of direction and time. Quite scary and thrilling at the same time, for a 18yo! It is all pretty much like in the newsreels and the movies depicts it very well. There are a lot of dangers and accidents and deaths are common with that much machinery and movement going on.

W G
SSGT USMC
1959-1970

Used with permission.

skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 06:24 PM UTC
Hi Fred and All

I agree with your friend comments, as for post WWII situations... but this model is supposed to represent a war time situation and I doubt that the Royal Navy, or US Navy sailors (or any Navy, btw) would be painting their crafts before a landing

If you google images for LCVP you'll find severall WWII pictures with the crafts dirty and scratched

Just my two cents

Skipper
EasyOff
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 26 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 07:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes, I like that Fred. Great, but not overdone, excellent and very perceptible. I will have to say that this type of weathering conditions on this model would only be seen after several months of neglect. One thing the Navy is on top of is the condition of equipment. Lots of Gray paint and lots of manpower to use it kept them looking very nice even under war time conditions.

My only criticism of this project is that the boats were wood bodies, with just a metal bow ramp, so the rust should be confined to the gun shields, ramp, bilge and exhaust holes. The boats did get very grungy from the salt spray and dirt mixtures and any oil or petrol that might have been in the water.

W G
SSGT USMC
1959-1970

I'm in love with what I see here, its absolutely stunning. But I'd also have to agree with what WG said to a certain degree. I was a boatswainmate second class and plenty of time coming through the ranks chipping paint, In the navy, there is no day off, specially if your at sea, they keep you very busy to cut down on the bordem and the squabling of the personel. People are actually assigned to these crafts and that's their all day function to clean and maintain them in between standing watch and praying for sleep. I was on the captain's gig and admiral's barge also attached to a motor whale boat team rescue team and every day our stations were inspected. If the boats weren't kept up, we didn't get liberty. But ya, they do get banged up really fast, they rub up against the piers, up against those boat stops along side the ship, ( over 20 years ago I forgot what they were called). Sometimes we'd anchor out and have to take mike boats in for liberty call. That didn't always go well with a full belly of alcohol on the way back. Some of the guys got pretty sick

The one thing that I would say that I might have done a little different would be to make it more sun bleached, so it would be a lighter gray. By no means does should my opinion distract you from the fact that what you've done here is absolutely outstanding. If I could afford it I'd buy it from you in a heart beat.

Can't wait to see what you have next. Thanks for sharing. I think we ALL thank you for sharing this one
tommaso66
Visit this Community
Trieste, Italy
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 07:45 PM UTC
Hi friends,

thank's again for your compliments....I enjoy...
and to Fred thank's for WG reply you submitted.

About it I want to tell that I know LCVP boats were wood bodies. Infact I tryed to limit rust effect, confining it to bow ramp and around other metal parts, such as bolts or rivets and the shields on both hull-sides.
Sorry If I exaggerated with it !!!

About navy painting.... I agreed with Skipper: in web I found many pictures of scarped and dirty LCVP, taken just before landing.
In my gallery you can see 4 of them, one colors, (cause I forgot URL...), I was inspired by.

Thank's all again...and excuse me for my english mistakes!!

Tom

skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 08:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

W G
SSGT USMC
1959-1970

I'm in love with what I see here, its absolutely stunning. But I'd also have to agree with what WG said to a certain degree. I was a boatswainmate second class and plenty of time coming through the ranks chipping paint, In the navy, there is no day off, specially if your at sea, they keep you very busy to cut down on the bordem and the squabling of the personel. People are actually assigned to these crafts and that's their all day function to clean and maintain them in between standing watch and praying for sleep. I was on the captain's gig and admiral's barge also attached to a motor whale boat team rescue team and every day our stations were inspected. If the boats weren't kept up, we didn't get liberty. But ya, they do get banged up really fast, they rub up against the piers, up against those boat stops along side the ship, ( over 20 years ago I forgot what they were called). Sometimes we'd anchor out and have to take mike boats in for liberty call. That didn't always go well with a full belly of alcohol on the way back. Some of the guys got pretty sick

The one thing that I would say that I might have done a little different would be to make it more sun bleached, so it would be a lighter gray. By no means does should my opinion distract you from the fact that what you've done here is absolutely outstanding. If I could afford it I'd buy it from you in a heart beat.

Can't wait to see what you have next. Thanks for sharing. I think we ALL thank you for sharing this one

Hi Fred

Yes I know the drill

I was also aboard two ships, and during a mission of SAR (Serach And Rescue) in the Azores Islands for 4 months we got pretty "leisure time" (read: painting).

That's why I have made my comment, because when on NATO exercises (the longer took three weeks in the "pound") we never got any "leisure time" - combat stations, regular quarters, and other exercises took all the time we got - so the looks of the ship got it toll...

That's why I said that during WWII i doubt that any ship commander decided that he must have the most pristine looking ship/boats/landing crafts in the fleet

Skipper
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 06:27 AM UTC
Ok, that's it. I want one!

Kenny
 _GOTOTOP