_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
I am going to the uss lexington.
adws
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 37 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 07:42 AM UTC
I only live about 2 hours away from Corpus Christi, Texas, and my wife told me she wanted to go the the big aquaium they have there. I thought to myself "Hmm the Lexington is right next to the aquaium." So I said lets stop by the Lexington before we go to the aquaium, and lets make it an all day thing. You we wouldn't want to waste the gas, and go all the way up there just to do one thing. And to much surpises she was like yeah that sounds great.

So I am going to the uss lexington, and I was going to take my camera and wanted to know if anybody wants any photos. I am going tomorrow January 19, so sorry about the short notice but this trip was just a last minute deal. Well anyways if anybody wants some photos let me know.
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 981 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 08:53 AM UTC
One of my old ships.....
Visit Aft Engine Room....
bring your camera, you just may get a photo of the ghost.
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 2,832 posts
Model Shipwrights: 40 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 09:36 AM UTC
What ghost mate?
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 03:41 PM UTC
Hi "adws"

First, Welcome to Warships @ Armorama
Second, I hope you have Fun in the Aquarium and also on the Lexington
Third, Yes Walkaround on the USS Lexington would be great!

Enjoy

Skipper

EDIT: Dave, you are very much alive - so, the Ghost option it is not valid
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 06:32 PM UTC
A few links to start with:
http://www.usslexington.com/

http://www.usslexingtoncv16.org/

I'll see if I can find the one with the ghostcam set up in aft engine room.....
it's been a while since I used it, and can't find it now.
probably has been removed since last time I was there (a few years ago, the messages boards that was set up for former crew was taken over by teenage brats.... )
but was a pretty cool site since it had several cameras set up for an on line tour of the ship.
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 02:03 PM UTC
Pizza, if you go to the above links there are many photos of the Lex-CV16 throughout her career. You can simply download and save them and set them up as your desktop.

(My current desktop is a photos of my last ship doing an un-rep, the I picked up off the Navy website)
adws
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 12:07 AM UTC
ok I went and now I am back. I had a great time. This was the first time I have ever been on an aircraft carrier before. I didn't have a chance to go into the engine room or the sick bay. When you have a two and a half year old boy, after about an hour and a half he is done. I knew it was going to be too windy for him on the flight deck, and I was right. But I got tired of him asking me over and over again "Daddy I wanna see planes."

So I took him up on the flight deck. Well south texas has been having some strong winds lately. Now when I say strong winds I am talking 20 mph. It was so windy I had to hold on to my son, so he wouldn't get carried away...LoL. It really was funny because you could see he was torn, He really wanted to see the planes but he really didn't like the wind.

But all in all it was great. I will go back. I took about 134 photos.I will post a few in a little bit.
adws
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 12:19 AM UTC
Ok here are a couple of images.

More to come.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 03:17 AM UTC
Hi "adws"

It's good you and your son enjoyed the windy deck
The photos look great
Would you mind sharing them for a walkaround on the USS Lexington or Museum Walkaround?
Of course the credit of the photos would be yours

Think about it

Skipper
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 03:41 AM UTC
Thanks for posting the pics. My Boy Scout Troop had been kicking around the idea of going down there for that experience. They allow troops to spend the night on Fridays. It wasn't cheap and we had started saving. But with cost per person, needing more people than we had that really wanted to go, and with gas now $2.25 a gallon, I don't think we even have it in the consideration pile anymore. I would like to see more pics, and isn't the Texas reasonably close by. San Jacinto --isn't it) If you get down there that would be cool. I've seen the Alabam but exhibit was closed by the time I got in but did snap a few pics of the ship at a distance.
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 03:42 AM UTC
Glad you had a good time....
even if you didn't make the engine rooms, or sick bay.
Hope the little one enjoyed themselves also.
adws
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 04:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

. I would like to see more pics, and isn't the Texas reasonably close by. San Jacinto --isn't it) If you get down there that would be cool.

Here is a link to a few more photos
http://photos.kitmaker.net/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=2733

I don't know where the Texas is to be honest with you. I have been to San Jacinto and that is North of Houston, and I am 5 hrs from Houston. If you look at a Texas map, and go all the way south that is where I live. I live just 30 mins from Mexico, and in fact I work only mins from Mexico. We have some people at work who go to lunch in Mexico, and then come back to work after lunch.
I will post more photos as so as I crop them down to a good size. Right now they are 11X17 @ 180 dpi.

And my son loved it. In fact it is now days later and he is still talking about it. I think it is wonderful.
adws
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 04:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The photos look great
Would you mind sharing them for a walkaround on the USS Lexington or Museum Walkaround?

Skipper

I would be more than happy to share any photos I have. You can email me if you want.]
 _GOTOTOP