_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Tamiya 1:350 Bismark
SFW516
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 09:54 AM UTC
Hi everyone,

I just joined and I am just about to get started on a Tamiya Bismark model. So I was wondering if I could get any advice here on how to make it look better and different modeling techniques. I am fairly new to modeling so I need all the help I can get. Thanks alot for your patience.

And after its done I want to have a display case for it, so if anybody has any advice on that that would be great.
modelguy2
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 818 posts
Model Shipwrights: 278 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 09:58 AM UTC
1/350 DKM Bismark with WEM PE Set

1/350 DKM Bismark with WEM PE Set
by: Mike Taylor [ MODELGUY2 ] [ ALL BY THIS AUTHOR ]

skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 09:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi everyone,

I just joined and I am just about to get started on a Tamiya Bismark model. So I was wondering if I could get any advice here on how to make it look better and different modeling techniques. I am fairly new to modeling so I need all the help I can get. Thanks alot for your patience.

And after its done I want to have a display case for it, so if anybody has any advice on that that would be great.

Hi Stephen

Welcome aboard Armorama
and especially at Warships

Mike Taylor has already pointed out to his great article on the subject you are building. Read it analyse it and if/when you encounter a problem/issue, please post it here! You'll see the crew is wonderfull answering questions and helping eachother.

You could also enlist to Garry Beebe's Dreadnoughts Campaign

Once again Welcome aboard Warships
Skipper
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 10:26 PM UTC
Stephen, welcome aboard mate. Just don't look at those fantastic photos Mike posted and think to yourself, "I'll never get that good" and get discouraged. You can't run before you can walk and nobody does something like that on the first try. At least I certainly never did. Just look at what CAN be done and figure out what you think YOU can do to make yourself happy with the result. The main thing is HAVE FUN.

SFW516
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2006 - 03:26 AM UTC
Thanks so much for the welcome. Yeah that model is amazing. I don't expect to get that good over night. I have been hearing alot about photo etching and am wondering just how hard that is to do. It definitly adds alot more detail. If anybody has something to say about that I would be interested in hearing it.

I definitly will come on if I am having a problem. Thanks again for your willingness to help.
Hoovie
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 505 posts
Model Shipwrights: 104 posts
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2006 - 10:50 AM UTC
Hi and welcome!
display cases are cheap and done
at TAP plastics in CA!!
HTH
Ron
SFW516
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2006 - 11:05 AM UTC
I live in Southern CA, is it possible to get what you want by ordering from them?
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 12:58 PM UTC
The White Ensign is the top of the line set of Photo-etch and the price shows it. If your budget is not at that level, check out the Gold Medal MOdels or Tom's sets. You can check places like Great Models or Roll and get one of them significantly cheaper and quicker. PE greatly enhances the look of these kits, but if you are not comfortable going to that level yet , rest assured the kit you are building is first rate and the directions and ease of assembly are top notch. When you get around to painting and assembling the kit let us know. THere are several here at all different skill levels who have built the kit. Mike is a pro and he is who we all stive to mimic
SFW516
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 12:37 PM UTC
Yeah, I think I will not do the photo etching this time. Its a little out of my price range and I think a little to complex for me.

I have built less complex ships than this. I built the Revell kit of the Arizona, but nothing else in 1:350 scale.

I have a double action airbrush that I am learning how to use and I was wondering just how much you can do with an airbrush? Its an old Paasch airbrush, I have never had another airbrush so I don't have anything to campare it to but it seems really nice. It does take awhile to clean up though after using it. If you guys have alot of experience with airbrushes I could also use some hints on how to use them.

Any and all comments are welcome. Thanks again for your help.

Stephen,
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 10:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yeah, I think I will not do the photo etching this time. Its a little out of my price range and I think a little to complex for me.

I have built less complex ships than this. I built the Revell kit of the Arizona, but nothing else in 1:350 scale.

Hi Stephen...
I understand you dilema...
If you allow me a "stupid" advice:
Save this model now, and if you really are interested in making a Bismark, try and buy any of the recent DKM Bismark 1/700 models that were released during 2004 and 2005 (Trumpeter/Fujimi/Pit-Road).
They are all the best Bismark (or Tirpitz) yopu can buy for that scale and save the Tamiya 1/350 Bismark for when you have some more notches on your belt!
What do you say?

Quoted Text

I have a double action airbrush that I am learning how to use and I was wondering just how much you can do with an airbrush? Its an old Paasch airbrush, I have never had another airbrush so I don't have anything to campare it to but it seems really nice. It does take awhile to clean up though after using it.

Yes, the cleaning task can be a pain! I have changed to an Aztek back in 2001 or 02 and it proved much simpler to clean. But you can achieve also a good level of productivity with your "old" Paasch - I bet your "old" Paasch is better than my "new" Aztech - if you use acrylic paints! All the process is much easier and cleanner too!

Quoted Text

If you guys have alot of experience with airbrushes I could also use some hints on how to use them.

Try using your airbrush on an old model - they are good test beds!
Try shading and paint large surfaces in one colour, try camouflage (in two and three colours), some smoke and hues of the base colour. The main basics are these and are the steady hand - but this is accomplished with practice

Quoted Text

Any and all comments are welcome. Thanks again for your help.

Stephen,

This is why we are here
If you need help - just ask

Skipper
SFW516
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2006 - 12:00 PM UTC
Thank you for your opinions. I got everything ready and I think I feel comfortable with doing the Bismark. I think I will just take it slow and see what I come up with. It probably won't be absolutly wonderful but I am sure it will be the best by far I have done yet. But then agin I might decide to buy a smaller model and get a little practice. I'll go down to the local hobbly shop and see if I can find something real simple. Thanks agin for the comments.
 _GOTOTOP