_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Armour needs navy suport!
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,412 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 06:46 AM UTC
Hey folks, building the scharnhorst for the dreadnaught campaign i need your help. Its fully assembled and primed, but how to i get to paint the floor and structure( both different colors?) Do i do sub assemblies or what else.

Mind helping me out with you tips my friends!

Frank
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 04:11 PM UTC
Hello Francois!
To answer your question, if your ship is completely assembled now, you will have to be very careful in painting the different parts of the model..ie: the hull, decks, superstructure, etc...you see, the way that I myself will do, I will paint different parts as I go along, I always finish the lower hull first before proceeding to the upper hull, I also paint the decks before adding any superstructures or guns, etc...PE is primed first and then painted (usually by hand) when attached to the model, superstructures are painted and built independently before adding them to the painted decks...
It is possible to finish and paint a model when it is completely assembled, but I just find it easier for me doing it my way...my eyes and hands are not as steady as they used to be! You will have to carefully plan your strategy and mask off the parts that you do not want to be a certain color (if you are spraying) and proceed to paint the smaller parts by hand. I hope that this helps you out some, be patient and take your time, and think about steps 2, 3, and 4 while you're beginning step 1, know what I mean? Good luck, mate, and keep us posted on you progress!
Gunny
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 05:15 PM UTC
Allô François!

I think that Mark said it all!
In warships, especialy small scale (1/700) planning is very important, so that you can paint and build it properly!
Think of the main sub assemblies as different models (hull, turrets, superstructures, planes... etc) and build them in separate... Once you have build them start to think and try (dry fitting) what need to be painted first so that that doesn't interfere with the "next step" and so on until you reach the end

If you need any help during your progress - we wil be here!

Skipper
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,412 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 01:51 AM UTC
a lala, plenty of work ahead as i see :-)

I guess il have to use my finest brush to work on the floor

Thanks guys,
Frank
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 02:28 PM UTC
I'm an old tanker too. But for further reference the sailors call the floors on ships decks. And we have all learned by trial and error to paint the hull, mask it off, then do the decks, go back and paint the molded on features that are not part of the deck. Then paint all the neat superstructure, main guns, smokestacks (funnels) and other glue on goodies.
 _GOTOTOP