_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
1/542 "Midway Carrier"?
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 08:19 PM UTC
On Jimbrae's post about the paint masks he mentions a 1/542 Hornet. I did a search and found out a bit about this kit but now I have a question. I am building the Yorktown for the flatops campaign and the box lists it as 1/480 scale. Are these totally different kits? It just seems so strange the same company would come out with the same ships in two such odd scales.

Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 09:06 PM UTC
Hey Rodger,

Redneck has the same kit but is doing as the Hornet. He bought the Hornet mask from me (Gator's) and it the same kit as the older revell kit I have. I used mine to get the measurements. If you're getting 1/480 scale, it would explain the problem we had in length of the mask. I'm rambling here.

Either way, new or old, it's the same kit, what ever the scale is.

Kenny
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Model Shipwrights: 94 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 09:25 PM UTC
Welcome to the world of the 'Box scale'

List of ship kits has the Revell Yorktown/Enterprise/Hornet/Midway carrier etc etc down as 1/480

http://www.quuxuum.org/rajens_list/shiprevs.html#Revell

And also a Midway (CV41) at 1/54? scale.

In the old days the size of the box dictated the scale of the model
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 10:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Welcome to the world of the 'Box scale'

In the old days the size of the box dictated the scale of the model

Yeah, I knew about "box scale" but I didn't think they would have listed it as two different scales, 1/542 and 1/480. I just figured it meant that the they built the kit to fit the box, but it doesn't make sense that they'd figure it to be two different scales. I'm sure it's one or the other scale, but who knows which one.

redneck
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,602 posts
Model Shipwrights: 665 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 12:02 AM UTC
The kit must be 1/480.
As kenny already said we discovered the kit is larger then 1/542.

And now that I think about it the pictures you posted in the campaign thread the other day do look a lot like the kit I have. I’m guessing the midway kit is just a few extras tossed in to allow you to build the other 2 ships as well.

The strange thing is that I believe the midway kit is newer. (Dates on the plastic are older then the date on the box) so why did the mess up the scale when they already had it?

Anyway I guess I can look forward to more fit problems.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 12:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The kit must be 1/480.

The strange thing is that I believe the midway kit is newer. (Dates on the plastic are older then the date on the box) so why did the mess up the scale when they already had it?

The box I've seen for the "Midway carrier" certainly looks newer. I really wonder what, if anything, they included to make the various carriers at Midway, Yorktown, Enterprise, and Hornet, other than maybe decals. Especially since I think Hornet was just a little bit longer than the other two.

Quoted Text

Anyway I guess I can look forward to more fit problems.

Oh yeah, I think you can look forward to plenty of fit problems. At least I did. Get the putty out.

redneck
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 01:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I really wonder what, if anything, they included to make the various carriers at Midway, Yorktown, Enterprise, and Hornet

They did add a few extra pices for the deferent ships.
You can see what comes with it here. I’m going to guess that the tree in the middle (with the planes) are all the new parts. Atlest thats the one with the plaque for the 2 new ships.

EDIT: Dang little red X. The picture of the parts can be found both in my gallery and the campaign gallery.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 03:35 PM UTC
Did they do the differnt island shapes? Hornet was "noticeably different" from her two sisters. This is why I'm doing Hornet 350 scale as the Doolittle raider instead of a prewar Yorktown or Enterprise. Now that I can do the Lex that way I'm a happy camper. Kenny, can you run up masks for the Hornet on her Doolitle run. I think all you'll need is that wavy pattern on the bottom. Maybe as it wouldn't be as difficult as a multi-splinter design you could offer it as a cheaper set?
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 04:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I really wonder what, if anything, they included to make the various carriers at Midway, Yorktown, Enterprise, and Hornet

They did add a few extra pices for the deferent ships.
You can see what comes with it here. I’m going to guess that the tree in the middle (with the planes) are all the new parts. Atlest thats the one with the plaque for the 2 new ships.

EDIT: Dang little red X. The picture of the parts can be found both in my gallery and the campaign gallery.

Skipper
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Model Shipwrights: 934 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 05:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Did they do the differnt island shapes? Hornet was "noticeably different" from her two sisters. This is why I'm doing Hornet 350 scale as the Doolittle raider instead of a prewar Yorktown or Enterprise.

Gold Medal Models offers a P.E. set for this kit which offers you the option of modifying her to either of the following,

Yorktown & Enterprise 38 - 40

Hornet April 42

Yorktown June 42

Enterprise 44

Frank
redneck
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 12:30 AM UTC
Thanks skipper.

Steve the main part of the island is the same for which ever ship you build. It just has a few extra parts to add to some of them I believe.
I don’t know enough about the Yorktown class to say if they are correct or not.
 _GOTOTOP