_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Dreadnoughts campaign - HMS King George V
Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 970 posts
Model Shipwrights: 446 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 03:06 AM UTC
Finally made a start on this one, Tamiya 1/700 Prince of Wales (being built as KGV), with White Ensign PE set. Thanks very much indeed to Blade48mrd for kindly sending me the Tamiya kit - how many websites do you know where that would happen?

Anyway a couple of pics:

Not much done yet as you can see. The WEM PE set is very nice to work with. It also includes a whole stack of watertight doors, hatches and ladders. Which leads me to question #1...

Does anyone on the site have any refs for placement of these items? The only photos I've been able to find don't have enough detail to show me this.

Question #2 - I'm building her as she was in mid to late 1942 could anyone help me out with the camouflage scheme she'd have been wearing then?

I just know someone out there will know the answers to these - come on you warship gurus!
Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 03:07 AM UTC
PS As ever the pics show me where I've screwed up - I've cleaned up those scuttles now...
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
Model Shipwrights: 248 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 09:11 AM UTC
Graham,

WEM is one good place for references. They should have a number of books available. John Synder (sp?) there and Randy Short over here (USA) wrote a 4 part series on RN camo during WWII. You can check them out online thru SMMLonline or Steelnavy.

I got a decent 1:384 dwg from WEM (~6.50GBP + shipping) for my Nelson. It helps on the hatch placements and ladders. It's a little weak on the watertight doors. I don't know if Classic Warships or AJ Press did any specifically on PoW or KGV, but that's another track.

Alan Raven did a number of books on battleships perhaps he covered these. As they say in Minnesota, ther're kinda spendy.
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Model Shipwrights: 94 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 01:38 PM UTC
Profile morskie 49 covers the PoW, White Ensign sell it

http://www.whiteensignmodels.com/acatalog/index.html?http%3A//www.whiteensignmodels.com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Profile_Morskie_156.html&CatalogBody

Got mine from Ian Allen, Motorbooks sell it too.

Lots of scale drawings, but a maddening structure with drawings all over the place. Not as mad as their Hood volume.

EDIT: Oh yes, if you're building KGV, then I believe the Bofors emplacement at the stern has to go.
Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 05:59 PM UTC
Thanks for the tips, I didn't think of trying WEM themselves. Cheers
Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 05:24 AM UTC
Did a bit more today. Mostly fairly straightforward but putting the radars together is a complete (expletive deleted). And I'm glad I'm building her in mid-1942 before she was absolutely bristling with 20mms, since they're not much fun to put together either. I thought 1/72 PE Oerlikons were bad!

Here's some pics, more in the gallery. Comments and critique very welcome of course.

md72
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 09:30 AM UTC
The water tight doors look great. The 20mm does look like a challenge. Is that WEM's? I've got about 59 more to do for my Nelson. I'm using Gold Medal Models' sheet. Fold over the wheel and glue on the shield, not too difficult unless you're half blind and have fat fingers. Like me.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 01:00 PM UTC
I built that puppy in 350 scale. MUCH easier. Mine was also a Tamiya and to be honest, it sure ain't anywhere near the top 10 of my favorite ships, but as for a nice straight forward build that looks super when completed with a nice PE set...it was an absolute delight and I had a vaery good time building it. I hope you have the same. Ships can really be a lot of fun because they build so well and I find I can stare for hours at a well made kit. Sorry I can't help with a cammo scheme . I did mine late war when they were pretty much a couple of shades of gray.
Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 03:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

...not too difficult unless you're half blind and have fat fingers. Like me.

My long lost twin! Yes the 20mms are from WEM, real good fun to put together.

That said, the ship as a whole is a fun build. Tamiya parts fit well and the PE is on a nice thin fret so no clean up is needed. Think I may need to mod the pom-poms a little since they're going to look pretty flat. We'll see

As for the camo - I'll probably do her similar to PoW in the multi blue and grey scheme - may not be historically accurate but should look good, and I'm not much for counting rivets anyway
Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2006 - 05:54 AM UTC
Well I've built a couple of the pom-poms (after a struggle - Peter Hall has a lot to answer for - eleven parts per mounting!!!). As I suspected though I think they look a bit two-dimensional, would appreciate your honest opinions on this. I'm considering part scratching the remainder, using some scrap styrene to make up the main breech area and then adding some of the WEM parts, with brass wire for barrels. Let's see, 8 barrels, 5 mountings, that sounds like 40 barrels to cut, drill and glue

Here's how they look. Notice I've also done a few more of the bl***y 20mms...

md72
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2006 - 11:15 AM UTC
Graham,

You're scarring me. I was hoping that painting the 20mm guns would add enough thickness. Now I'm not so sure.

I think you are right, the near quad looks a bit thin. The rear one is a bit blurry to me (blind ya know), so I can't tell if it's just the angles or not. Before you start trying to drill a bunch of .002" holes you might try some paint or super glue to see if you can build the thickness up.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 08:20 PM UTC
Ahoy Graham

Your KGV is turning out nice with the PE add-ons
I have to concur with the thinkness of the Pom-poms.
They should be a little more "roundish", specially in the barrels - I can't see the breenches properly, but they are bulky parts - can't you make a mix between the model parts and the WEM PE set?

Just a thought!

Keep us updated, Keep up the good work!

Skipper

Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 09:47 PM UTC
11 pieces per Pom Pom! In 1/700? Are the sadists?

Looks really good to me Graham.

I've got a question though. The strip that has the ships name on either stern quarter, then goes around the entire ship, what is that supposed to be? I'm not familar with that on the real ships. I don't know about the KGVs but I know Hood, Repulse, and several others, had their name in block letters on either side of the break of the forecastle. That's where the long fore deck steps down one deck. On the Hood this would be just forward of C turret.
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 574 posts
Model Shipwrights: 530 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 11:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

11 pieces per Pom Pom! In 1/700? Are the sadists?

Looks really good to me Graham.

I've got a question though. The strip that has the ships name on either stern quarter, then goes around the entire ship, what is that supposed to be? I'm not familar with that on the real ships. I don't know about the KGVs but I know Hood, Repulse, and several others, had their name in block letters on either side of the break of the forecastle. That's where the long fore deck steps down one deck. On the Hood this would be just forward of C turret.

That is the external degaussing cable. KGV was the only one of the class to carry her degaussing cable on the outside of the hull, IIRC. It was moved to the interior of the hull during the refit that landed her catapult.

Fine looking model, Graham. BTW, WEM also makes a very nice resin pom pom in 1/700. I found those more realistic looking than the photo-etch version.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 11:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That is the external degaussing cable. KGV was the only one of the class to carry her degaussing cable on the outside of the hull, IIRC. It was moved to the interior of the hull during the refit that landed her catapult.

Fine looking model, Graham. BTW, WEM also makes a very nice resin pom pom in 1/700. I found those more realistic looking than the photo-etch version.

That seems awfully big to me to be a degausing cable, and far too flat. I'm not picking on Graham's job, but maybe the PE set is wrong. Degausing cables were normally only a foot or so thick, weren't they?

A resin Pom Pom would certainly be more my speed than having my fat fingers, and nearsightedness, try to handle 11 parts that little.

Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2006 - 12:35 AM UTC
Sorry I missed a few posts there, been busy. Thanks for the tip ref WEM's resin pom-poms Martin, I'll give them a look. I've tried using the Tamiya pom-pom minus its barrels plus the WEM PE parts, but adding 8 barrels from brass wire is a nightmare!

I've built a little more of her, hope to post some pics a bit later if I have time.

Cheers
Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2006 - 03:10 AM UTC
Well I've bitten the bullet and just ordered the resin pom-poms from WEM. Murphy's Law applied of course - they come in packs of 4, and I need 5 x 8 barrel and 1 x 4 barrel. Oh well worse things happen at sea!

I'll dress them up a bit with the PE parts as well obviously
Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 03:23 AM UTC
Got a bit more done, added some ladders and railings, couple of 20mms, funnels and gunnery radar. More pics in the gallery. Waiting impatiently for my resin pom-poms now!

Phil73805
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 59 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 03:35 AM UTC
Graham, so far so good. She looks great which leads me neatly on to my next point. I have the Tamiya 1/700 Prince of Wales, when you're done with all the PE could I ask you to take some shots of her all around so I can use them as reference...cheeky I know but it would really help me out.

By the way I also have Tamiya's 1/350 King George V and WEM's PE set but one thing at a time :-)

Phil
Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 04:58 AM UTC
No problem at all Phil. Also if you want any pointers on the WEM PE (assuming you are also using the 1/700 set?) then just let me know
Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 10:18 PM UTC
A little more done, started on the turrets and the 4-barrel resin pom-poms have arrived - look a lot better than the flat PE ones I think (I will be adding some PE details to them as well).

Have to get rid of those mould seams...

More pics in the gallery!
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 10:35 PM UTC
Hi Graham

Yes the Pom-Pom quads look more realistic
It was worth the investment...

As for the barrels seem lines... You already know
Get a new x-acto 11 blade and work slowly on them

Good job!

Skipper
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 1,610 posts
Model Shipwrights: 566 posts
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2006 - 01:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

- eleven parts per mounting!!!).

I can't even imagine that in 1/700!! The 1/350 L'Arsenal 40mms are done in 10 pieces, and I thought those were difficult enough!!!

I've been putting off doing the 20mm's on my Missouri for a long time, and the though of doing an even greater number in half the size boggles my mind.

It's difficult to tell from the photo how well the 40 mms look, but the 20 mms really look terrific!

Tom

Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2006 - 01:52 AM UTC
Actually putting the pom-poms together wasn't too bad (after a couple of trial runs!) problem is they just look too flat - some things just aren't suited to PE in my opinion. So, I opted to replace them with WEM resin pom-poms, which look a lot better, and weren't too expensive either
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 1,610 posts
Model Shipwrights: 566 posts
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2006 - 03:11 AM UTC
Good point. The L'Arsenal 40 mms are a combination of 3 resin pieces (the base and two pair of 40 mm barrels and breeches) with 7 PE pieces, two seats, two elevating wheels, front and side shields, back rail and a single bar with two optical sights. The resin pieces do add a lot of depth.

Tom
 _GOTOTOP