_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
USS ALABAMA 1/350 TRUMPETER !!!
Spades
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 776 posts
Model Shipwrights: 58 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 09:27 AM UTC
Trumpeter is to release the Alabama Battleship. Will pick up that one also. Does anyone know of a website that give the different types/classes of battleships used by the U.S during WW2 ???????
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 09:47 AM UTC
Does't Trumpeter know I promised my wife I wouldn't buy so many kits this year? (sigh) Another must have, to add to all the other must haves.

Here's the best site I know of.

Dictionry of American Fighting Shipes
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 10:07 AM UTC
Trumpeter put this info out early last month. Expected release date was in July I think. I believe they are going to try to push the Hood out first. They also have been advertising the Saratoga which is suppossed to be 1944 version. So don't hold your breath on Alabama just yet. It may go like Nimitz which was promised in March ad didn't get out until October. Or like NC which was expected in June and came out in March.
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 574 posts
Model Shipwrights: 530 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 08:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Trumpeter put this info out early last month. Expected release date was in July I think. I believe they are going to try to push the Hood out first. They also have been advertising the Saratoga which is suppossed to be 1944 version. So don't hold your breath on Alabama just yet. It may go like Nimitz which was promised in March ad didn't get out until October. Or like NC which was expected in June and came out in March.

I believe that the Saratoga in now going to be molded in her 1930's pre-war guise.
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 08:44 PM UTC
Another good site for battleships is:

NavSource

Not only will it list all American battleships, but it has some great photos too.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 09:05 PM UTC
Another great site is Haze Gray and Underway

This is where I link to the DANFS that I sent earlier. If you look around on this site you can find a lot of great information from all over the world.

Spades
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 09:56 PM UTC
Thanks guys for the links, guess I will be looking at ALOT of stuff. Another question, are'nt the Alabama and the North Carolina 2 different types of battleship classes ????

Heck, even if Trumpter is late with this release, as long as it comes out. And to think, I bought a new home just to have some space for all my old kits, now, im going to outgrow this one also.

Can you imagine the looks my wife will give ????
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 11:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks guys for the links, guess I will be looking at ALOT of stuff. Another question, are'nt the Alabama and the North Carolina 2 different types of battleship classes ????

Heck, even if Trumpter is late with this release, as long as it comes out. And to think, I bought a new home just to have some space for all my old kits, now, im going to outgrow this one also.

Can you imagine the looks my wife will give ????

Yes, they were different classes of ships. North Carolina and Washington made up the NC class, while South Dakota, Alabama, Massachussets and Indiana made up the South Dakota class.

The South Dakota class are one of my favorites - handsome ships, IMO.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 11:25 PM UTC
As Martin mentioned the NC class and the So Dak classes are totally different. About the only thing they have in common is the three tripple 16 inch gun turrets.

The NC class was the first US battleship series built since the old Colorado class in the early 20s. That's because of the Washington naval conference. They were much longer and narrower than the So Dak class, and just a bit faster.

The navy decided they wanted more armor protection even if with a bit less speed. So they developed the So Dak class.

The So Dak class has been rated one of the best battleship designs in the world. Here is an interesting link to a survey of battleship designs.

Baddest Battleship

md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
Model Shipwrights: 248 posts
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2006 - 01:38 AM UTC
Rodger,

Thanks for the Baddest Battle ship link! That was a neat diversion.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2006 - 03:50 AM UTC
2 of the ships survive from this class. The big Mamie (USS Massachutsettes) and the Bama (USS Alabama).. I'ld tell you to go visit them for historical reference until I saw you were from Washington. They both reside in their current named States. ISquadron did a walk around of the Alabama which wil make a super reference guide when the kit actually comes out.

Oh, Martinn, if you are right about the Saratoga coming out prewar then all I have to say is and and of course
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2006 - 06:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Oh, Martinn, if you are right about the Saratoga coming out prewar then all I have to say is and and of course

How do you think I feel after 5 months and a couple of hundred hours of work to convert my Lex into Sara! I was hoping for a 1944 version too!
Spades
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2006 - 07:14 AM UTC
Spent a good part of my work day on the websites you all gave me. Today, I was the poster child of "ineffiency". I at least accomplished that today,,,
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Model Shipwrights: 934 posts
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2006 - 09:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I believe that the Saratoga in now going to be molded in her 1930's pre-war guise.

I hope this is the case. With all due respect to those of you that modified the Trumpeter offering, the mere thought that this will be available will send me running to my LHS.

Frank
 _GOTOTOP