_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
USS Midway Carrier 1/350..long overdue.hoping
Spades
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 776 posts
Model Shipwrights: 58 posts
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2006 - 10:00 PM UTC
How about the Midway, any configuration from WW2 to the time of her retirement. Could you guys imagine the different versions we could build of her ???? Heck, she went through what, 3-4 refits/overhauls?? From the WW2 flightdeck to the 1950's flightdeck up to the more modern flightdeck in the late 60's to early 70's.

Lets not even begin talking about the hull expansion !!!

Any good models of her out thier ????? Trumpeter .... since your doing all the carriers, how about this one ???? Hopefully Trumpeter does decide to do this gallant lady of the high sea's.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2006 - 10:23 PM UTC
Or the Intrepid - which have also had a handfull of refits!

One cool thing they had in the Intrepid Museum is a two 1/72 scale waterline models of the Intrepid in her original layout and in the late 50's layout.
Since both models are side by side, it is very easy to noticed the differences (and I am not only mentioning the angled deck!)

Making the same model in different periods/refits is a rather interesting thing. As mentioned here, Trumpeter is already backdating Sara to the late 30's

Skipper
Spades
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2006 - 10:29 PM UTC
The Intrepid would be a good candidate for future release as well. Completely forgot that she had also gone through some major refits.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 02:42 AM UTC
Trumpeter does like Aircraft carriers, but I would project that the Midway class is long down on the list. I think they'll do a WW 2 Japanese like the Akagi next. The next modern will probably be an updated Nimitz and after that I would think a Forrestal class.
Spades
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 03:58 AM UTC
I seriously doubt an updated nimitz, but thats my thinking. I would think a forrestal before an akagi, but thats not to say thats a bad thing.
 _GOTOTOP