_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Lindberg and Mini Hobby 1/350 battleships
Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 970 posts
Model Shipwrights: 446 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 03:16 AM UTC
Anyone built a kit from these ranges? If so would you recommend them? How do they compare to Tamiya etc?

In fact , the $64,000 question - how do you rate the various 1/350 scale warship manufacturers on quality, price and so on? I ask because I'm looking to build up a thin area of the stash... :-)
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 03:37 AM UTC
Graham, I can't speak for all their kits but I can tell you the Lindberg HMS Hood is a joke. It's basically nothing more than a bathtub toy that bears a bit of a resemblance to the real ship.

As to MiniHobby I'm building their Bismarck for the Dreadnought campaign. I understand it's a knock off of the Tamiya kit. I can say I'm a bit dispointed in the quality of the plastic. It's hard in some spots, soft in others. There is also a large scratch in one area that I'm pretty sure is a defect in the mold. I can't imagine Tamiya letting something like that get buy them. All and all it's ok, especially since I got it for something like $10 after a 1/2 off sale at Hobby Lobby. Compared to Tamiya you can't beat the price, but the quality isn't totally the same.

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 04:38 AM UTC
Rodger and I speak with one voice. I have the exact same impressions and experience. I used my bismark for the dreadnaughts campaign so you can check out pics on my gallery. I have had recent success in buying the Tamiya stuff through Ebay. Tamiya recently jumped their ships up to the $100+ category. They gave the boxes new numbers and artwork, but it's the same old kit that has been around since the early 80's. My last two purchaes were the KGV and the New Jersey . I was able to get both for around $35 each. All in all though, these kits hold up incedibly well and getting a PE set such as Gold Medal, White Ensign Model, or even Tom's will make it a real nice display model.
Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 970 posts
Model Shipwrights: 446 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 05:17 AM UTC
thanks for the info gents. Will avoid Lindberg, consider Mini Hobby, and watch eBay like a hawk!
 _GOTOTOP