_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Colour Help !!!!!!!
RedLeg
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 746 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 12:45 AM UTC
Hi guys i am building my first Warship and i just wanted to pick some brains on the best Colour grey for my King George V Preferably Tamiya As they easier to get hold of.

redleg
Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 970 posts
Model Shipwrights: 446 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 12:47 AM UTC
White Ensign's colour coats are the most accurate matches I know of, but of course they are enamels (and get a bit costly if you are building a larger ship).

You could try getting a tin from WEM and then colour matching an acrylic from that I suppose?
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 01:14 AM UTC
Well first of all you should learn how to spell Color, no u. :-) I don't know why but I had to throw that out.

What Grahams suggests I've also done. I somewhat prefer Tamiya for the same reason you've mentioned, they're easier to get. What I've done in the past when something was listed for only one brand, say Humbrol for example, I've done my best to find that color at a local store, then try to match it to the closest Tamiya one. I've also gone the other way and taken a Tamiya bottle to a local store in order to find the closest cheap craft type paint to match it.

Since we want to support people who support us buying one tin from White Ensign then color matching it to Tamiya would certainly be one way to go about it.

Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Model Shipwrights: 934 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 01:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well first of all you should learn how to spell Color, no u. :-) I don't know why but I had to throw that out.

I think it's time we start to re-introduce the English language to you Americans.....

I'm starting with you RoUdger
Glenn330
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 156 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 01:43 AM UTC
[quote]Well first of all you should learn how to spell Color, no u. :-) I don't know why but I had to throw that out.

Easy Rodger. They do spell it that way in England. We just happen to lose the letters here. :-) :-) :-)
NebLWeffah
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,683 posts
Model Shipwrights: 53 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 01:43 AM UTC
To answer the question, Tamiya's XF-20 medium grey colour should do nicely. You could also buy some black and white as well to mix with the grey to get some additional shades worked out for yourself.

Canada too - I'll spell 'colour' properly on this 'armour' related website. I hope no one's 'honour' will be bruised by my attempt to 'flavour' this thread with off-topic 'humour'. hahahahaha

Bob
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 01:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I think it's time we start to re-introduce the English language to you Americans.....

I'm starting with you RoUdger

Now you can blame it on my ENGLISH Mum. Just like you and colour she insisted on putting an extra letter in there where it doesn't belong.

Like a Scot told me when I was in Glasgow, "you Yanks butcher our language then claim that it's guantity over quality."

RedLeg
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 746 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 01:54 AM UTC
Thanks for the quick replies guys.
I hope i haven't started something :-) but it's Definitely Colour :-)

redleg
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 02:08 AM UTC
My tounge was firmly in my cheek when I threw that out. For some reason us Yanks, even a half Yank like me, are a bit outnumbered on the Warships forum, unlike the rest of the forums, so I though I'd put some humor in here.

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 02:57 AM UTC
It sure got a chuckle out of me, but back on topic. You might want to cut out the color side view alongside of box (if there is one....I built the 350 scale Tamiya KGV) and use that as a comparison reference. Barring that go down to local hobby store. In your neck of the woods you stand a fair chance of finding a tin of the correct WEM color. Then, find the closest Tamiya or other brand of acrylic to match it
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 05:15 AM UTC
OK Guys

Enough of this Colour issue :-) :-)
;)

My suggestion is someone who has a Tamiya KGV to share the colour list

Yes Americans are out numbered here, but then, it's a Portuguese guy who tryes to explain himself in English that gives his best to keep the boat afloat

As a crew, you are all WELCOME!

Skipper
NebLWeffah
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2006 - 08:20 AM UTC
Chill..... we're just havin' a bit of fun....

The Tamiya chart is a good idea... can we publish it here on the 'Big A' somewhere without copyright or any other legal infringements?

Bob
Visit this Community
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 398 posts
Model Shipwrights: 292 posts
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2006 - 05:23 PM UTC
If you don't want to use Colourcoats, and want to spend your time mixing and matching to get the correct colour using your own favourite brand of paint, then what you need are the Snyder & Short Royal Navy Paint Chip sets. These were matched to original WW2 paint samples, and formed the basis for our RN Colourcoats.

We stock the S&S chip sets, or you can order them Stateside from Randy Short at the Ship Camouflage website, http://www.shipcamouflage.com, or you can e-mail Randy directly at [email protected].

Cheers,
John Snyder
White Ensign Models
http://WhiteEnsignModels.com
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 04:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Chill..... we're just havin' a bit of fun....

The Tamiya chart is a good idea... can we publish it here on the 'Big A' somewhere without copyright or any other legal infringements?

Bob

Hi Bob

I was joking about it - didn't you notice the: :-) ?

Skipper
NebLWeffah
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 11:09 AM UTC
soooo... Redleg - did you get the answer you're looking for? How about the Tamiya XF-20 medium gray with white or balck to control the shades of gray...do you think that would work for you?
 _GOTOTOP