_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Flattops! Campaign Updates?
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 04:15 PM UTC
Good morning, Mates!
A fine Monday morning it is, must report back to work though (unfortunately) after a great modeling weekend! I myself made a little progress upon my Flattops entry, working with 1/700 PE most of the weekend...it's been quite a while since I fussed with PE of this scale, and I must say that there are some pieces that would strain a Lilliputians eyes in this set! :-) The Yard Arm foot rails look like something out of a flea circus!!! Wow, thank goodness for double power magnifier lenses!! Things are looking up though, will put up some pics soon, promise...what about the rest of my crew?? How's our builds coming along?
Gunny
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 04:27 PM UTC
Still in the box - but ready to steam once the Dreadnouhgt huge little project is done!

Skipper
almonkey
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
Model Shipwrights: 44 posts
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2006 - 12:54 AM UTC
hello sailor!
i know what you mean about that small p/e! heres my ark royal the rails and de-gaussing strip took me all weekend to do, but its making the hull look nice and busy

Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,080 posts
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2006 - 02:32 AM UTC
Hi Gunny,

Not much done this weekend only a little bit of p/e, looked at the flakveirlinge p/e and put them back again still intimadated by all those little 1/700 p/e parts.
Some parts are smaller than the tips of my tweezers

Ciao
Luciano
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Model Shipwrights: 934 posts
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2006 - 08:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Gunny,

Not much done this weekend only a little bit of p/e, looked at the flakveirlinge p/e and put them back again still intimadated by all those little 1/700 p/e parts.
Some parts are smaller than the tips of my tweezers

Ciao
Luciano

Don't be intimidated by PE, and keep in mind that you do not have to use all the PE given to you in a set. A bit of PE will go a long way in dressing up a model.

Frank
MMcLean
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 348 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2006 - 08:17 AM UTC
Hi guys,

Just some seam filling early Saturday and hopefully can start with the PE later this week.

-Matt
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2006 - 11:10 AM UTC
We got hit with ice this weekend, so I didn't venture out. TV was horrendously bad as well, so I read Law books and modeled all weekend. Got all major paint on her and am now working on airplane conversion attempts. It is looking hopeful. Suppossed to be cold and rainy all week and tv gets even worse, so I figure I'll complete carrier and get a few airplanes to put on deck. Might declare completion by the end of the week, but we'll see.

Oh, those masks I got to do the L - E -X worked flawlessly. Deck looks pretty good with yellow stripes and reddish /brown mahogany all on a light grey hull. JUst gotta put black line on lower hull and attach to upper hull. Add the props and some flagstaff type pieces and touch up a few areas and the ship part will be done. Converting Buffaloes and Vindicators has commenced and I think my conversions are going to measure up.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2006 - 05:16 PM UTC
Sounds FANTASTIC Mates!!
Keep up the great work and let's keep posting our progress, discussion, and pictures in this most excellent campaign that we have here! THANKS!
Gunny
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,080 posts
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2006 - 08:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Don't be intimidated by PE, and keep in mind that you do not have to use all the PE given to you in a set. A bit of PE will go a long way in dressing up a model.

Frank

Hi Frank

Unfortunatly the kit parts for the light AA armament are more like lumps of coal than 37 and 20 mm AA guns. The Flakveirlinge in the kit is 4 lumps in a line nothing like a flakveirlinge or any other AA weapon I can thing of but as I write this I have just had an idea

Shhh! Top secret can't tell

Ciao
Luciano
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2006 - 08:39 PM UTC
Hi Luciano

Welcome to the "scratchbuilders by need" guild!
I hope I got it right

Skipper
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2006 - 09:01 PM UTC
No pictures to share but I worked some more on the putty. (I hate putty?) I think I have all the seams filled that I'm going to be able to fill, and mostly sanded down. (I REALLY hate putty)I hope to glue the flight deck on tonight then prime her, to see how good my putty jobs are. (Have I mentioned how much I hate putty?)

I'm trying VERY hard to get this puppy put together this week as I'd like to display it at a museum opening my IMPS club is hosting on Saturday. I don't think there is a chance in heck of making the deadline, but I thrive on preasurre.
:-)
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2006 - 09:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm trying VERY hard to get this puppy put together this week as I'd like to display it at a museum opening my IMPS club is hosting on Saturday. I don't think there is a chance in heck of making the deadline, but I thrive on preasurre.
:-)

Hi Rodger

Appart from your Putty love/hate relation [:-)] I think that you should take your model as it is on saturday morning... this way other non-modelers can see what it takes to make a model (which is not "just" as easy as gluing and painting some plastic parts)

Of course, this is only possible if it is a one day exhibit, otherwise you'll have your model being held for a long period...

Just my 2cents

Skipper
 _GOTOTOP