_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Lex into Sara
Tomfan
Visit this Community
Slovenia
KitMaker: 113 posts
Model Shipwrights: 103 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 12:10 AM UTC
Hello!

Im new to this forum.. Until now i have build only airplanes, and now i will try something new! - SHIPS...

My first project will be Trumpeter 1/350 Saratoga! But Sara in not out yet!
My Q is : Can Lexington be build and modefied into Saratoga ??? Without to much work! Or it is better to wait until Sara cames out!
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 01:03 AM UTC
It can be done. Of course the big deal is are you talking about pre-war or late war. Prewar, you can buy a conversion kit from Yankee model works which would have the tapered bow end flight deck. Lex squared hers off several years earlier and Sara didn't redo hers until pretty late. Personally unless you are going for late war, I would wait for the Sara, rumor is she is going prewar. Late war there are different bulges in hull as heavier armor was added for torpedoes and different AA arangements. It can be done but it would take a lot of referenceing and photo's to guide you. Good luck
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Model Shipwrights: 934 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 03:13 AM UTC
My suggestion would be to wait a while, there is no sense in rushing into such a large project. Wait until Trumpeter makes their intentions clear.

Frank
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 574 posts
Model Shipwrights: 530 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 04:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I would wait for the Sara, rumor is she is going prewar.

The scan of the art work on the Trumpeter website shows a pre-war Saratoga....
Tomfan
Visit this Community
Slovenia
Posted: Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 03:01 PM UTC
I would like to built Sara from 42-43 era ( guadalcanal ops ). Soif Sara in pre war era, what about Lex is also a pre war ( lex was sunk in may 42 - coral sea)? Sometime in the future i would very like to build The BIG E ( USS Enterprise CV-6 ) Midway - Guadalcanal era of OPS, is Trumpeter planing to build this model also, and / or on wich model of their flattops is the easyest way to be converted ino Big E

OFF topic !
Im from Europe, are yankee model works models ( im looking for USS Balch destroyer ) awailable in any shop in Europe... I did sent them an Email over a week ago but no response.. and if anyone knows, if Trident hobies is shiping in EU?

THX
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 09:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I would like to built Sara from 42-43 era ( guadalcanal ops ). Soif Sara in pre war era, what about Lex is also a pre war ( lex was sunk in may 42 - coral sea)? Sometime in the future i would very like to build The BIG E ( USS Enterprise CV-6 ) Midway - Guadalcanal era of OPS, is Trumpeter planing to build this model also, and / or on wich model of their flattops is the easyest way to be converted ino Big E

Lots of changes in store - the funnel was cut down and the mainmast built up to host a Mk 37 director. The foremast and spotting top were removed and the top of the bridge reworked

Sara pre-war:

Sara after refit:

Quoted Text

OFF topic !
Im from Europe, are yankee model works models ( im looking for USS Balch destroyer ) awailable in any shop in Europe... I did sent them an Email over a week ago but no response.. and if anyone knows, if Trident hobies is shiping in EU?

THX

I think Trident ships overseas - they'd be your best bet I think (they also own Yankee ModelWorks)

1.90E_31
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 252 posts
Model Shipwrights: 89 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 09:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

OFF topic !

You could also try Commander Series Models. They make a Porter class destroyer, and they do ship to Europe. They also have been very helpful in the past with other kits. Here's their website:

[url]http://www.commanderseries.com//url]
Tomfan
Visit this Community
Slovenia
Posted: Sunday, March 05, 2006 - 12:50 AM UTC
THX a million times!
When i finished my curen projects i will order porter class destroyer! ( curently im working only on airplanes 2x Pilatus Pc-6 turbo porter 1/48 - 60% finnished, Tamiya F-4u1a corsair 1/48 just started and revell F-5E tiger VFC-13 1/32 90% finnished )
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 05, 2006 - 04:55 AM UTC
The Trumpeter Lexington is in her final mode (early 1942--Coral Sea)) as released. Saratoga was not rebuilt like her with the AA batteries replacing the twin 8 inch turrets they went straight to the dual 5 inch gun batteries. That will take some digging to get those parts. You might just want to do the Lexington as is and pick up and do the pre-war Saratoga. Ynakee modelworks may sell some of the dual 5" batteries separate as in appearance, they used siilar ones on battleships and destroyers You'll need to do some research to find out all the changes made. At least the Lexington deck will be right so that will save a lot of hardship.
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 06, 2006 - 01:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The Trumpeter Lexington is in her final mode (early 1942--Coral Sea)) as released. Saratoga was not rebuilt like her with the AA batteries replacing the twin 8 inch turrets they went straight to the dual 5 inch gun batteries. That will take some digging to get those parts. You might just want to do the Lexington as is and pick up and do the pre-war Saratoga. Ynakee modelworks may sell some of the dual 5" batteries separate as in appearance, they used siilar ones on battleships and destroyers You'll need to do some research to find out all the changes made.

Twin 5" gun turrets are available from L'Arsenal - they are superb, the best I've ever seen.

If you are in Europe, you can order direct from L'Arsenal or from White Ensign Models.

http://www.larsenal.com/GB/indexgb.php
http://www.whiteensignmodels.com/

Quoted Text

At least the Lexington deck will be right so that will save a lot of hardship.

I've read that the Sara's had different gun galleries forward, where the 1.1 guns were added - not sure if the deck was widened exactly like the Lex's. There is plan and profile of the late war Sara spread across several pages of Robert Stern's excellent "Lexington Class Carrier" book. It's OOP, but available on the used book market.

skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 04:51 PM UTC
Hi Tomaz

I really don't know how I missed this post!
But I see that (as usual) you have received your help from the crew!

Welcome aboard Warships @ Armorama

Skipper
Tomfan
Visit this Community
Slovenia
Posted: Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 02:15 AM UTC
THX on all the help.
When i get my tax revenue, i will order USS Balch ( Porter class destroyer ) 1/350... Im tired of airplanes!
And i have to find which Trupmeter Flattop that can be converted in to a Big E ... I also hope, that Trupmeter will release Akagi/Kaga flattops... :-) + Jamato/Mushasi BB :-) :-) :-)
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 02:39 AM UTC
The closest thing made to an Enterprize is the Hornet. There was a conversion set made by a company called Nautilas, but it costs as much as the kit did. As for the Yamato / Musashi. Tamiya has them out in 350 scale. Both are in what was each of their final configurations. (the Musashi in 44 and the Yamato in 45). KIts have been out for 20 years and are excellent. Shop around a bit.....Tamiya changed the numbers re-released them and jacked the price up by 40 some dollars. A good search on ebay may save you a lot of money. As to Akagi, haven't heard a thing which means at least a year or so. I think they are seriously thinking about it, but as for this year they have the Hood, 2 Indiana class BB's and the Saratoga. That's a pretty full plate.
 _GOTOTOP