_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Submarines
Topics on submarines of all types and eras.
Model stands; where to get from?
madwolf
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 258 posts
Model Shipwrights: 141 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 12:38 AM UTC
A lot of you guys have your models displayed on nice wooden stands, sometimes on two chrome/silver/gold color columns. I especially like the stands that are a piece of wood, then many perpendicular equally spaced pieces of wood on which the model rests.
Do you guys build these yourself? Can you find some kits for them? So that I would just cut a slot for the hull and go?
Thanks.
Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 970 posts
Model Shipwrights: 446 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 03:23 AM UTC
Not exactly what you're after, but these people do some nice wooden stands suitable for models
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 06:17 AM UTC
The pedestal type stands can be purchased. They are best suited to drilling a hole in the bottom of your ship, srewing them down and then assemblying. You do the same thing for putting them on the wood or metal stand. The ones using the wooden planks are cut pieces glued on to the wooden base and then attaching the ship to them....usually with glue as well.
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
KitMaker: 2,511 posts
Model Shipwrights: 89 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 06:30 AM UTC
Hi there Ion

maybe this is not what you're after also.

but this is what i used for my flattop campaign.

for the stands, i got from a wooden furniture supply shop where that part are for some wooden handles.

skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 05:27 PM UTC
Hi Ion

I have used my LHS wood bases, but I always add something from my own, either brass stands, or wooden blocks where the vessel rest.
Some wooden bases are already varnished (more expensive) other came in natural colour and you can make them stained and varnished to your pleasure
It's easy and it gives the model a cool look (instead of the plastic base).

One thing that I always do is to put some self adesive velvet paper on the bottom of the base. This way Mrs Skipper will not bug me for scratching the furniture and it serves as a stopper when travelling with the models to Modeling Events

Skipper
 _GOTOTOP