_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
ISE progress for GB BB build
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Model Shipwrights: 36 posts
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2006 - 09:18 AM UTC
Oh boy, now that the gallery is back up, and I have a few KB'a to play with...

Anyhow, here is my belated update. Ok, first off, this is the OLD kit of the ISE, and it really needed help. Add to it my total lack of any info or building technique do to the fact I have not built a ship model for over 20 years just adds to the problem. Thank goodness for the internet.

I started by reworking the Bow for only two chains instead of three. Next, I tackled adding some detail to the front tower and drilling up into the sub-assembly for hte two "legs". This is VERY HARD and I messed up my angles, but at this point, I do not care. It looks good enough to me for my first ship.

I next tackled the turrets. While the shape and general look is good compared to my references, the rear "range finders?" of the B and C (I think I got that right) turrets were too high and looked weird, so I filed slots intot he turrets to sit them correctly and then scratchbuilt the front openings. I have to add the PE ladders yet. I also have to work onthe AAA decking, another fun task.

The funnel and its associated metal work looked really bad, so using the GMM set I had, I looked it over and scratchbuilt a new funnel based ont he size of the old one. Not too bad. To keep the interior from looking too bare, I added two "pipes" that are probably not real, but add interest to a big darn hole int he ship everyone willbe looking in! I need to add the "grille" that goes over this. The last main part is adding thinner, more detailed splinter shields (as I call them) to various parts of the ship using .010 x .020 evergreen stock. Fun fun. #:-)

And then there is the flight deck. Sigh. There is very little actual info that I could turn up on the flight deck or hanger bay...while there are drawings, they just don't agree on details. I know I could have gone further and tried to get officical blueprints and such, but I am on a deadline here, and I wanted this to remain fun. What a concept.

Anyhow, first thing I did was replace all the splinter shielding around the aft AAA housings, and then the shielding around the "port and starboard aft gun galleries (?)" In need of mental medical attention, but trapped doing detail work, I decided, in my stupidity, to try to make the deck look less toy-like...yeesh. I drilled out all the turntables to accept new ones punched from styrene. After scraping off all the "rails" ont he deck, i scribed them in. Then I found out they should indeed be above deck rails. Oh the horror. But I will live with it and I added a bit of detail with a ordinance lift at the bow of the flight deck.

Below the flight deck was as much fun. Many simplifications and a need for detail. So I started cutting and filing away. Then, back to the Evergreen styrene for more detail material. Now those "Gun galleries" have nice supports, wether they are prototypical or not!

Now the underside of the flight deck, and the rear of the elevator, needed some detail just because they looked so darn plain. So I used my imagination and added ribbing under the deck and a small set of hanger-style doors and some watertight doors for the back, with a upper railing for interest. This area still needs to have railings installed and some other supprts put up, but so far so good.

And to top off the madness, I started detailing the support craft on board. Looks good, but I have to lay off the fumes.

All kidding aside, it has been a real pleasure so far to build a ship. Frustrating as all get out, but what a new adventure that seems to be coming out all right.!
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2006 - 04:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

All kidding aside, it has been a real pleasure so far to build a ship. Frustrating as all get out, but what a new adventure that seems to be coming out all right.!

Well, well, do I sense another shipwright convert in the midst?
Hi Jacques! Your progress on the build looks GREAT, and your detailing is impressive. Keep up the reports, and as you have previously said, keep enjoying the project, because bottom line, that's what it's all about, mate! Keep modeling!

~Gunny
Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 970 posts
Model Shipwrights: 446 posts
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2006 - 04:45 PM UTC
An awful lot of work going into the buld there Jacques, she's looking good. Should be a superb depiction when she's finished - keep us posted please!
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 04:19 AM UTC
I have always loved the Japanese battleships. Problem was they looked so beautiful in the box art paintings and then when you built the kit there was no detail. I think you have doe an absolutely wonderous job with your Ise. I wish that would come out in 350 scale and with a nice PE set would deffinitely be a display in the living room model for me.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 05:14 PM UTC
Jacques

You are making an excellent work with your ISE.
I have a question though:
- What are you using for reference?

Please keep us updated

Skipper
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Model Shipwrights: 36 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 08:20 PM UTC
Thanks guys. Sources are:

1. Maru Special No. 12 from 1977...a bit dated but easier to find than Gakken No. 27 on the ISE.

2. I found this build of the ISE on the web and have used it for inspiration and help in details. Also, I have been looking over other builds at http://www.modelwarships.com/main.html

3. I recieved a number of photos and drawings from some very nice people on the web, including detail shots of the real ISE sitting in Kure harbor after the war but before she was moved.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 08:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks guys. Sources are:

1. Maru Special No. 12 from 1977...a bit dated but easier to find than Gakken No. 27 on the ISE.

2. I found this build of the ISE on the web and have used it for inspiration and help in details. Also, I have been looking over other builds at http://www.modelwarships.com/main.html

3. I recieved a number of photos and drawings from some very nice people on the web, including detail shots of the real ISE sitting in Kure harbor after the war but before she was moved.

Hi Jacques

I was wondering that a Gakken book could be involved, or a Model Art Warship Special #6 (on the ISE).
It was only natural for the amount of changes that you are making
She's looking real great - please keep us updated on your progress!

Skipper
 _GOTOTOP