_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
HMS Hood ~ Airfix 1/400
Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 970 posts
Model Shipwrights: 446 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 02:14 AM UTC
Just a quick update so that Skipper doesn't think I've been loafing

As I said this is being built for a review here on MSW. Criticism and comments as welcome as ever!

Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 03:04 AM UTC
Looks great. She had such great lines, with that long foredeck. She does look kind of odd without her fighting top.

Quoted Text

Doh...sorry.... getting my Hood's and Arc Royal's mixed up. hehe

Maybe it was an H brain-glitch and I was thinking Hornet?

Sacrilege! Put Jim in for two dozen lashes with a piece of 1/400 scale rigging thread.

Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 03:13 AM UTC
Yes, she was certainly a pretty ship. I have learnt a lot about her during this build, which is a good thing of course! Hope to have her completed in a week or so

PS There are some more pics in my gallery
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 07:06 AM UTC
Looks like the fit is pretty good on this kit. The Trumpeter kit it out of my price range. But I sure do like the Hood in a large scale.

Gator
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 02:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Just a quick update so that Skipper doesn't think I've been loafing

As I said this is being built for a review here on MSW. Criticism and comments as welcome as ever!

Hi Rip!
Progress is looking Sweet, mate...how is the kit, overall so far to build?...any major hurdles that you've had to cross? Looking forward to seeing the finished subject AND your review, Graham!
~Gunny
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 03:23 PM UTC
Hi Graham

Looking great - I am glad that you are enjoying your built and learning from it

Skipper

PS: You are way more advanced in your build than I am, specially because I don't have a camera right now
Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 08:59 PM UTC
Don't want to say too much before I submit the review, but fit is generally good for an old kit (1970s I think?) One problem though is that Heller seem to have something against locating lugs and pins - there are hardly any in the whole kit! Most parts rely on being butted up against each other.

Still, she does build up into a nice large ship and looks quite impressive I think. Painting her has taken as long as the build so far, if not longer.

I'll keep you posted, but right now it's gloriously sunny here in Cornwall, so the modelling will have to wait - I'm off to fiddle with my bonsai trees!
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Friday, May 05, 2006 - 12:50 AM UTC
My initial thought was what a "Crude old kit" kinda like those early 700 scale Japnese ships coming out from Hasegawa and Fujimi back in the 70's. With the paint job my opinon has greatly improved. You've done a fine job. Even so, I am going to save my pennies up for the new 350 scale. It has moved up to #1 on my want list (ahead of the BR-52 locomotive now !) until the release of the Bma (hey I am a Crimson Tide graduate how could I foresake a ship named after my alma mater) :-)
Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Friday, May 05, 2006 - 04:08 AM UTC
Don't get me wrong, it is crude compared to modern kits. But there again it is 30 odd years old... Still a satisfying build though and makes up into quite an impressive looking ship with some care and attention.

Mind you, I'm still saving my pennies for the Trumpeter Hood as well Looking forward to seeing the first review of her
Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 02:14 AM UTC
Been busy and haven't had time to post for a while, but am pleased to say that Hood is nearing completion! Just need to finish the masts and guardrails, do some light weathering...

... and then get the review finished

Here's a couple of tasters

Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 03:15 PM UTC
Looking FINE, Rip!
Thanks for keeping us updated on the way along in the build, mate...Get busy with the review, my friend!
~Gunny
Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 05:16 PM UTC
I've been writing it in note form as the build progresses, so the review itself shouldn't actually take too long - I hope...
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 05:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I've been writing it in note form as the build progresses, so the review itself shouldn't actually take too long - I hope...

Hi Graham!
I do the same thing, mate...really the only way that I can remember the ups and downs of a build as I go along, ya know what I mean?? I keep a little "log book" if you would on the build, with a running rough draft so all that's really left to do is to back up the findings properly, edit the deal, type 'er up, and send it in (yeah, that simple, huh!? ) I'm looking forward to reading the complete review, my friend...
~Gunny
 _GOTOTOP