_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Aircraft on the USS Arizona
HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 3,098 posts
Model Shipwrights: 131 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 08:34 AM UTC
I need a little more help please. I am still working on my first ship kit and I am getting close to finishing it up. However I need to know what the color scheme of the aircraft onboard the USS Arizona was. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I am a tread head. So I am in new territory here. Any and all help will be appreciated. Thanks for everything.

HARV

PS. I guess there was a question about light blue coloring on the ships upper decks. Was this ever answered?
bf443
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 895 posts
Model Shipwrights: 14 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 09:17 AM UTC
What are you wanting to create? Before or during Pearl Harbor? Scout aircraft colors changed from colorful prewar markings of the 30's to war is on the horizon gray and blues.

Brian
BM2
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,361 posts
Model Shipwrights: 153 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 10:42 AM UTC

Recovering OS2U Kingfisher seaplanes in late 1941. War is on the horizon; Arizona has been repainted in a Measure 1 paint scheme to better hide the Arizona in the deep blues of the Pacific and her planes were camoflaged as well in September of 1941. Before that the Kingfishers had been aluminum with a bright red tail and engine cowling and bright yellow on the wing tops.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 03:02 PM UTC
I think the concensus was that the Arizona did not have blue decks They had just started with the blue staining late summer and early fall of 1941 and probably had not gotten around to the "Zona yet. My understanding is that they were doing it when the ships were being serviced. In any case, you wouldn't be horribly wrong no matter which way you go. Of course if you opt to make it earlier to paint those kingfishers in that gorgeous three color pre-war scheme (silver - yellow- red) then you have to have the non blue decks.
HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 02:39 AM UTC
I am painting the Arizona as she would have looked on December 7th 1941. I appreciate all of the assistance that I have received from everyone. The pictures and everything are a great help. I guess that is why this is the best site out there!!

Thanks again, HARV
Visit this Community
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 398 posts
Model Shipwrights: 292 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 06:34 AM UTC
On December 7, 1941, Arizona's Kingfishers were not aboard: they were on Ford Island. They had been repainted in blue-gray over light gray. We have those colors accurately matched and available in our Colourcoats enamels:

ACUS 05, USN Light Gray;
ACUS 06, USN Blue-Gray.

Cheers,
John Snyder
White Ensign Models
http://WhiteEnsignModels.com
HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 07:19 AM UTC
Thanks John, that is an interesting bit of information that I was not aware of. I will have to check out your company. Thank you for the reply.

HARV
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 08:13 AM UTC
I concur with John on this. Her aircraft weren't aboard on Dec 7th. Also at least some of her boats were moored alongside from the boat booms. Also if you're doing her as on Dec 7th you might try to recreate to awnings at bow and stern, and over the quarterdeck.

thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 1,610 posts
Model Shipwrights: 566 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 11:44 PM UTC
The photo got me to thinking. My old Revell Arizona didn't have Kingfishers, but the older bi-planes. My dad painted those up for me when I was about 10 in the old pre-war colors with yellow wings, and section marking bands.

Not having looked at any kits lately, do most Arizona kits now have the Kingfisher or the older plane?

Tom
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 12:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The photo got me to thinking. My old Revell Arizona didn't have Kingfishers, but the older bi-planes. My dad painted those up for me when I was about 10 in the old pre-war colors with yellow wings, and section marking bands.

Not having looked at any kits lately, do most Arizona kits now have the Kingfisher or the older plane?

Tom

I can't speak for "most" kits but I know the Banner 1/350 kit, and all it's knock offs, have Kingfishers. At least they are monoplanes, though they don't look overly much like any real plane actually.

I remember well the old biplanes on the Revell kit. There was just something "right" about an old battleship having old planes.

skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 03:48 PM UTC
My 1/700 Dragon Arizona brings two transparent Kingfishers that will not go into my Dreadnoughts Dio

Skipper
 _GOTOTOP