_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Cruisers
Topics covering cruisers both past and present.
Test of cruiser topic an
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 09:55 PM UTC
I understand some people have had problems with posting on individual ship types forums so I wanted to test this out. I also wanted to make the statement that I think crusiers are the most interesting ships out there, and the most under appreciated, or represented in most model scales. In one of the most popular scales, 1/350, in plastic at least, I can only think of the Italian heavy cruisers of the Zara class. Heller has the Prinz Eugen in 1/400, and there are quite a few 1/700 ships. The RN that had the largest cruiser force in the world in WWII has only two and a half ships in 1/600, Suffork, Ajax, and the "cruiser minelayer" Manxman. At least those first two can be made into quite a few sister ships.

Crusiers did it all. They fought in the battle lline against capital ships, handled aircraft, scouted, protected convoys, attacked convoys, layed mines, swept mines, and went after subs. They were the real work horses of the fleet and it's a shame there aren't more reasonably priced plastic models of them. In all scales.

My rant for the day.

skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 10:03 PM UTC
Rant accepted, Rodger

I might add that recently one Trumpeter 1/700 USS CA-68 Baltimore 1943 fit that I expect to build soon!
So you're not alone (and the model looks great!)

Although in 1/700, you should try one - they're cheap and neat

Skipper
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Model Shipwrights: 934 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 10:53 PM UTC
Light Cruisers, Protected Cruisers, Heavy Cruisers, Armoured Cruisers, Armed Merchant Cruisers, BattleCruisers..... putting aside my collection of Aircraft Carriers, Cruisers by far, hold the most interest for me.

Frank
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 10:56 PM UTC
Actually those Trumpeter 1/700 cruisers are kind of what prompted my post. I'm hoping against hope that they will either come out with some more from other nations, or, miracle of miracles, some 1/350 scale.

Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Model Shipwrights: 934 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 11:21 PM UTC
I'm planning (pending approval from Rui) to do a series of reviews on recent kits that I've purchased, and about half of them are 700th scale Cruisers. Great little models that with a touch of PE, look fantastic. My preference is 700th, but as I get older, I'm beginning to see the benefits of 350th!

Frank
allycat
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 942 posts
Model Shipwrights: 278 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 11:22 PM UTC
Hi ALL,
I don't build many ships (2 to date, KG V and Tirpitz 1/350 Tammy) but I'd certainly be interested in some W W 2 cruisers in styrene especially a Dido (or modified) I cant remember how many times I've read HMS Ulysses and would seriously consider modelling her.
Tom
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, April 07, 2006 - 12:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi ALL,
I cant remember how many times I've read HMS Ulysses and would seriously consider modelling her.
Tom

GREAT book! It may well be one of the reasons I like cruisers so much. That and the fact my Dad came home on the USS Portland, the only cruiser I can think of that fought against battleships not once, but twice, at Guadalcanal and Surigao Strait.

allycat
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 07, 2006 - 01:05 AM UTC
Rodger,
So did HMS Norfolk (Sort of)
The Bismark chase. Although I don't know if she exchanged fire with the battleship, she was present from the Denmark Straight and at the sinking.
and,
The Scharnhorst action.
Tom
allycat
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 07, 2006 - 01:05 AM UTC
Rodger,
So did HMS Norfolk (Sort of)
The Bismark chase. Although I don't know if she exchanged fire with the battleship, she was present from the Denmark Straight and at the sinking.
and,
The Scharnhorst action.
Tom
jabo6
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 276 posts
Model Shipwrights: 17 posts
Posted: Friday, April 07, 2006 - 07:25 AM UTC
lets not forget HMS BELFAST {preserved as museum} in the port of London and the post war HMS TIGER both in 600scale by airfix, Zvesta does an armoured cruiserthe VARYAG in 350 updates and etch brass can be had from White Ensign. But i agree cruisers are a most intresting vessel just not many plastic kits out there, cept in 700 scale and a ton in resin in all scales.I
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 981 posts
Posted: Friday, April 07, 2006 - 09:24 AM UTC
Then there is the almost as old as me kit of the Olympia.
jabo6
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 276 posts
Model Shipwrights: 17 posts
Posted: Friday, April 07, 2006 - 06:11 PM UTC
o ther cruisers spring to mind HELLERS AURORA and POTEMKIN also BLUCHER all in 400 scale. REVELL GERMANY did a pair of nice 350 ones, the EMDEN and DRESDEN Both WW1 .
_Admiral_Fil
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 60 posts
Model Shipwrights: 60 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 03:43 AM UTC
There is also the model of HMS Exeter...Matchbox (1/700) and Frog (1/500) but sadly Matchbox one is long out of production. There is also HMS Ariadne also from Matchbox. If you go to resin the choices are better. I am building HMS York from Samek for instance.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 04:21 AM UTC
I'ld love to see some of those Japanese Heavy Crusiers like the Myoko and Takeo class done in 350. I thnk Trumpeter is doing quite well in sales of 350 scale and that we will see some non-US carriers and a bit of the crusier offerings come out to light within the next two yars. If only Trumpeter would leave all the variations of the ESSEX alone !! :-)
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 08:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If only Trumpeter would leave all the variations of the ESSEX alone !! :-)

I can't blame them for that. If they can get the most bang for the buck from their molds by making every concieveable Essex, and that means they have the money to make other kits, then I'm all for it. It's like the Axis/Allied debate. I've come to the conclusion a while ago that I really don't care how many Tiger tanks DML makes, long as they channel at least some of that money into more and better Allied kits.

Now please, please, please, Trumpeter, or anybody else, let's have a convention like the Washington naval treaty. For every 5 US carriers, or 5 US battleships, could you give us 3 cruisers, in 1/350 plastic? Heck I'd even settle for what the French and Italians got, 1.75 for every 5 the big guys got. (Though I really can't think what a .75 cruiser would look like? Maybe a light cruiser?)
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 08:42 PM UTC
I know I'm chiming in kinda late, if I remember right, cruisers were all the US had right after Pearl Harbor. they carried the fight for quite a while. I'd like to see some of the older cruisers, USS New Orleans, in styrene. Wifey winches every time I say resin.

Kenny
Angry_Ensign
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 315 posts
Model Shipwrights: 145 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 13, 2006 - 09:22 PM UTC
While I'd be very happy with just about any cruiser in 1/350 plastic, here's my favorites...in no order of preference...

Jeff

Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 13, 2006 - 10:11 PM UTC
You didn't post what they were but that first one looks to be a British Southhampton or Colony class. The Japanes one a Mogami class before they got their 8" guns.

At least there are decent 1/400 kits of the German twins, by Heller.

Angry_Ensign
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 13, 2006 - 10:54 PM UTC
Sorry, I just took for granted that you'd know what these were...lol.

Sheffield, San Francisco, Mogami, and Scharnhorst.

I'd also like to see an Omaha in 1/350 plastic...

Jeff
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, April 14, 2006 - 01:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'd also like to see an Omaha in 1/350 plastic...

Jeff

The Omahaha, as a friend of mine calls her? You're a sucker for punishment. Actually I kind of like her looks, with that big control postition, four stack, casemate guns, etc.
Angry_Ensign
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Friday, April 14, 2006 - 01:19 AM UTC
Why? She's a pretty ship, sleek narrow beam, classic WW1 design...same with the 4-pipers...

I've got the ISW Detroit in 1/350, I should probably start on that at some point.

Jeff
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, April 14, 2006 - 01:33 AM UTC
I think he based part of that on how really poor those ships were. Too hot in summer, too cold in winter, very frail hulls. One of them, can't remember which one, actually leaked to the point she broke down mid ocean. From what he also has written both Detroit at Pearl Harbor, and Marblehead in the Java Sea, nearly sank from hits that shouldn't have been that critical for ships of their size.

Like I said, I like them also. Richard and I have had this argument before. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Plasticat
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 448 posts
Model Shipwrights: 135 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 15, 2006 - 01:31 AM UTC
I just picked up the Trumpeter Baltimore kit. It is SWEET!!
Has anybody released a PE set for it yet?
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 960 posts
Model Shipwrights: 901 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 10:05 AM UTC
Hey all,

I think this thread needs to be revived..... As some people have sugested older eyes need a little larger size. Does any one know of some nice kits in the lager sizes????? 1/350 maybe? I like the ships that hit hard so my fav's are the battle wagons (battleships and cruisers). Also while I have your attention do you know of reference material (books) that would be helpful?
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,080 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 07:15 PM UTC
Hi Frank, as for the first part of your question I can not help you there as 1/350 is not my scale, but for the second part you can not go wrong with the following book 'Cruisers of World War Two' An International Encyclopedia, by M.J.Whitley. Each ship class has a line drawing and photo/s, a stats list, design information, any mods and the service life of each ship in the class.

As for me I would like to see more plastic 1/700 cruisers as yes there are lots available in 700 but only if you want Jap or can afford resin to get the British or Italian ships that I want.
Sorry little rant over.

Ciao
Luciano
 _GOTOTOP