_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
Where are they?
LuckyBlunder
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 273 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, April 07, 2006 - 03:26 PM UTC
Hi everybody -

I came over from the aircraft section and have a question. Where are all the World War 1 Battleships? I just read an excellent book entitled "The Great Dreadnought" by Richard Hough and thought I'd like to have a model of that ship. 14, 12 inch guns! I've been studying Jutland and would like to have some of those ships but can't find any. It surprises me that I can't find a kit of HMS Dreadnought.

Appreciate any comments. Thanks
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Friday, April 07, 2006 - 06:07 PM UTC
Ahoy, Steve, and
Welcome to Model Shipwrights Mate!

Funny you should ask this question, and I think that you will find some answers here .

Check it out, Steve!
~Gunny
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Friday, April 07, 2006 - 08:08 PM UTC
Hi Steve

I'll give my Welcome to Modelshipwrights
You have placed a very interesting question regarding WWI waships...

In plastic form there are a few modesl, from Revell to Zvezda, ICM, Heller and some more "obscure" Russian Manufacturers... scales are different among them 1/200 to 1/500!!!

You can find the majority of WWI Battleships in Resin Manufacturers like Kombrig (excellent) and HP Models (from Germany).

The catch here is the price of them - a "little" on heavy side

Hope I was able to enlighten your doubts a little

Skipper

LuckyBlunder
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 273 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 05:04 AM UTC
Mark, Rui, thank you sincerly, gentlemen. I have never built a ship model, but have built airplanes all my life(well, from age 12 or so, anyway) and, thanks to you guys, I will will seek these out. I'm especially fond of HMS Agincourt.
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Model Shipwrights: 934 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 07:08 AM UTC
Combrig makes a wonderful resin model of the 'Gin Palace' in 700 scale. Here's a link for your viewing pleasure....

http://www.steelnavy.com/CombrigAgincourt.htm

Frank
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 04:01 AM UTC
There are several companies that do extensive World War 1 ships. They are 1 / 1200 scale and made of metal. The only one that comes to mind is ALNAVCO. If you look that up, (just add a .com) it will have links to other companies featuring similar scale ships. Neptune comes to mind as well. They are not cheap and of course the detailing at that size is not exquisite, but they are out there.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 08:34 PM UTC

Ok, Steve, you just pushed the buttons on the "way back" machine. :-) I remember well my misspent youth crawing around on the floor playing naval war games with ALNAVCO 1/1200 metal ships. The pride of my fleet of course was the HMS Hood, at about 9 inches long. The guy who had the most ships had just about every American and Japanese ship made, at least one of every class anyway. He also had a tendancy to "bend" the rules when it suited him.

thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 1,610 posts
Model Shipwrights: 566 posts
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2006 - 02:06 AM UTC

Perhaps like many of us, I learned to love this hobby from my father. Among one of his earliest interests was making 1/1200 warships. From balsa wood. During the late 1930's when he was a boy, there were lots of plans available for all sorts of ships in this scale, and it was a relatively inexpensive hobby. All you really needed was the wood, a good knife, a couple of pins/wire for masts and guns, and a bit of paint. I still have a lot of the ones he did both in the 30s, as well as quite a few he made through into the 1960s.

Tom
 _GOTOTOP