_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
King George V
allycat
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 942 posts
Model Shipwrights: 278 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 02:02 AM UTC
Hi All,
I'm revamping my Tamiya 1:350 KGV (made 7-8 years ago when I didn't even have a working airbrush or all the various techniques I've found on Armorama)
What I'm wondering, is did KGV ever have her wooden plank decks painted, or were they always wood coloured?
TIA Tom
DutchBird
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,144 posts
Model Shipwrights: 172 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 08:23 AM UTC
The pictures I have seen in one book about British battleships (WW I - Vanguard (IIRC)) all the images dit suggest to me that the deks were never painted...

I hope this helps,

Harm
allycat
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 12:14 PM UTC
Thanks Harm,
But my KGV is WW2. I've got some reference pics and the decks look way too dark for wood.
Tom
DutchBird
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,144 posts
Model Shipwrights: 172 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 01:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Harm,
But my KGV is WW2. I've got some reference pics and the decks look way too dark for wood.
Tom

Hi Tom,

Well, the book I am talking about (I forgot the title, does basically cover the period between the design and commission of IIRC the Queen Elizabeth Class and R-class (Ramillies and sisters) and the scrapping of the last British battleships (so post WW II), including pictures of those serving in the WW II.

The project I am working on (though it is on hold now) is a KGV in WW II, in its fitting just before the 1944 refit (the kit is the post refit KGV). It carries a camouflage pattern. The fact that makes me think that the decks were not painted is that all pictures supposedly showing a WW II KGV (some of them in camo) do not show the sudden breaks in color as one would expect to see if the wooden deck was painted in a camo pattern. It might even be that in some there are clear lines between planks visible. And there seems to be a color difference between the plank deck and the other decks.

Also, the wooden deck of the Rodney (IIRC) was painted (in camo pattern) and the difference with KGV pics is massive.

So based on this, though of course I could be wrong, my original plan was to paint the decks wood.... however, I have yet to get that far..... I am still a long way of, and will not be able to work on it for the near future...

But probably the most certain way to find out is emailing White Ensign Models (who also sell paint, and PE (update sets and just railing)).

I hope this helps...

Harm
Visit this Community
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 398 posts
Model Shipwrights: 292 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 04:04 PM UTC
It depends on what year you are depicting for your KGV. In the early part of the war, including during the Bismarck chase, her wood decks were painted AP 507A Admiralty Dark Grey. Later, when she served with the British Pacific Fleet in Admiralty Standard Camouflage Scheme A, her wood decks were unpainted teak.

Cheers,
John Snyder
White Ensign Models
http://WhiteEnsignModels.com
allycat
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 12:27 PM UTC
John,
Would she have had painted decks up to
her 1944 refit (when the aircraft was landed)
Tom
Visit this Community
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 398 posts
Model Shipwrights: 292 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 13, 2006 - 06:05 PM UTC
Hi Tom,

IF she was painted in accordance with Admiralty instructions, no; her wood decks would have been unpainted. Best to check any available photos, though, for the time period in question.
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
KitMaker: 2,174 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, April 14, 2006 - 08:09 PM UTC
Hi, guys! I just today bought the Revell 1/540 HMS King George V, so I'm very interested in this thread. I don't have much knowledge about ships, and in fact this is my second (see my BUBAR post and you'll know what happened to the first ). My problem is that the paint instructions aren't very detailed or clear. For instance, the smaller details are very sketchy, like how to paint the Walrus seaplane, lifeboats, etc. Can anyone direct me to a site where I can research the paint scheme for the KVG? I plan to model her during the Bismarck chase. I haven't any books on battleships or anything like that.
 _GOTOTOP