_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Hasegawa to release new 1/350 IJN warship...
Angry_Ensign
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 315 posts
Model Shipwrights: 145 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 10:49 PM UTC
I've been getting some rumors that Hasegawa was releasing a new 1/350 IJN warship to commemorate its 45th anniversary (Kansen). There's been all sorts of talk about Akagi, perhaps Settsu or another one of the Russo-Sino War ships...

This was posted on the J-aircraft ship forum during that discussion.

The June 2006 edition of Model Art which came out today has a list of the models that will be shown at the Shizuoka Hobby Show. The Hasegawa list includes the following item:

1/350 ホビーショー会場発表(艦船模型)

or

1/350 To be announced at the Hobby Show (ship model)

So it's not speculation, there's a new IJN subject coming in 1/350.

Let the speculation (and wishing) begin!!

Jeff
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 10:55 PM UTC
Hmmm, verrrry interesting, Mr. Herne...be sure to keep us posted if you here any more....
~Gunny
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 01:08 AM UTC
OH BOY-----ANOTHER PLAYER !!!. Whatever the release (and I guess that the number one wish is for the Akagi or some WW 2 crusier) I hope it is successful enough to encourage Hasegawa to enter the arena.
modelguy2
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 818 posts
Model Shipwrights: 278 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 03:03 AM UTC
This was on modelwarships a week or so ago. Did the Mikasa have a sister ship?

"I've been getting some rumors that Hasegawa was..."

Here's my contribution I heard it was to be the Fuso or Kirishima with wood insert decks.
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Model Shipwrights: 934 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 03:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This was on modelwarships a week or so ago. Did the Mikasa have a sister ship?

The Mikasa was the fourth improved Majestic Class battleship, constructed in British naval yards between 1900 and 1902. The other three battleships were the Shikishima, Hatsuse and Asahi.

Frank
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 05:59 PM UTC
my $$ is on Fuso

;)

Skipper

PS: it's far more easier to put another 1/700 box in the stash and occasionaly a big one (just like the Revell 1/72 VII-C/41 last week!) - but they are coming out too fast and the boxes are big
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 08:52 PM UTC
Why do they insist on tormenting me? I can barely justify my 1/35 tank habit, let alone all the 1/350 kits I want to buy. Either Akagi or Fuso, this would be a very interesting kit to see on the shelf. The problem is I just don't have the shelf space. Roll on my 15 years so I can retire and start builiding all the kits I really want to build.

Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 10:45 PM UTC
A 350th scale Akagi would be a nice addition. If done properly with the hanger deck details and with new tooling engraved panel lined 350th scale aircraft.

Frank
Angry_Ensign
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Monday, May 01, 2006 - 12:09 AM UTC
I have a source in Japan that's attending the Shizouka Show - he'll be emailing me as soon as he hears what it is. Soon as I hear it, I'll post it up.

Since it's Hasegawa's 45th Anniversary, I'm thinking it's not going to be a Mikasa sister. Mikasa is the best-known of them all, and if Hasegawa is releasing something to honor it's 45th, I doubt it would be a re-hashed version of an existing kit that they released previously, especially since there's already a second version of the kit already on the market.

No...I think this one is going to be something new...I just hope it's a WW2 subject.

J
Angry_Ensign
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Monday, May 01, 2006 - 12:15 AM UTC
I'm getting another rumor - from two different sources this time - Kaga in 1/350, pre-1936 configuration.

Only time will tell I guess.

Jeff
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, May 01, 2006 - 01:29 AM UTC
With a proper parts breakdown, Hasegawa could offer both the initial pre-war and the WW2 configuration. I can already see all those biplanes on the deck.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, May 01, 2006 - 01:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

With a proper parts breakdown, Hasegawa could offer both the initial pre-war and the WW2 configuration. I can already see all those biplanes on the deck.

That seems to me to be a stretch, offering both versions. Of do you mean some intermediate version between the earliest one, and the World War II one?

BTW these are NOT my models, I got these images off the web.

Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, May 01, 2006 - 03:54 AM UTC
Hi Rodger,

There were only two configurations to the Kaga. Launched in 1921as a battleship, and completed as a carrier in 1928, she would undergo reconstruction in 1934-35 which would lenghten her flightdeck from 562ft to 815ft, and increase her capacity from 60 planes to 90. It would require careful planning by Hasegawa to allow them the profitable duel release of both variants.... With that in mind, I would purchase both the early and WW2 versions.

Frank
Hoovie
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 505 posts
Model Shipwrights: 104 posts
Posted: Monday, May 01, 2006 - 07:09 AM UTC
YES~~
A 1/350 Akagi would be great idea!!!
Ron
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 574 posts
Model Shipwrights: 530 posts
Posted: Monday, May 01, 2006 - 06:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Rodger,

There were only two configurations to the Kaga. Launched in 1921as a battleship, and completed as a carrier in 1928, she would undergo reconstruction in 1934-35 which would lenghten her flightdeck from 562ft to 815ft, and increase her capacity from 60 planes to 90. It would require careful planning by Hasegawa to allow them the profitable duel release of both variants.... With that in mind, I would purchase both the early and WW2 versions.

Frank

Yeah, I'd plunk down some cash and buy both. Does anyone know if there were any changes to the hull when Kaga was modernized in 1934-35? If not, Hasegawa could release two versions - like they did with Mikasa. Though obviously the changes would be more extensive than they were with Mikasa.

I hear from the rumor mill that Trumpeter is going to do an Akagi in 1/350, so perhaps that's why Hasegawa decided on Kaga.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Monday, May 01, 2006 - 07:06 PM UTC
Rumours Rumours....

It's so fun to see how this will develop - either way it's a rather good choice

Skipper
Angry_Ensign
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Monday, May 01, 2006 - 07:28 PM UTC
To add to the rumor mill, my contact in Osaka tells me he's hearing about a new-tooled Yamato...

I hope not...one of those beasts (Tamiya) is enough.

Jeff
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, May 01, 2006 - 10:12 PM UTC
I'm in agreement Jeff, there's already a perfectly fine 350th Yamato/Musashi out there..... If profitability is an issue (and when is it not) there is a whole range of Japanese heavy cruisers that would be stellar in 350th scale!

Frank
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, May 01, 2006 - 10:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Does anyone know if there were any changes to the hull when Kaga was modernized in 1934-35? If not, Hasegawa could release two versions - like they did with Mikasa. Though obviously the changes would be more extensive than they were with Mikasa.

I think I was letting my tank orientation get in the way. I was thinking you were suggesting one 2 in 1 kit, like DMLs 3 in 1 kit. In other words one kit that would have both configurations in the same box.

As to the hull configuration I'll check my copy of Battleships and Battlecruisers. I know it has drawings of the hull, I'll see it there were any changes made between the configurations.

Angry_Ensign
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Monday, May 01, 2006 - 11:30 PM UTC
When Kaga was refit in 1936 the bridge was moved from the hull centerline to the island after teh flight deck was enxtended, and I would imagine the hull was bulged to counter the weight changes.

Although it's feasible that the kit (if it is in fact Kaga) could be engineered to allow for both versions (as separate releases), I'm not sure it's economically viable.

It's one of those situations - the pre-war version would probably sell well in Japan but not in rest of the market, while a Battle of Midway version would sell well everywhere.

Hey - it's only speculation. I've heard nothing definitive on what it'll be.

Personally, I'm still hoping it's Takao or Myoko.

Jeff
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 574 posts
Model Shipwrights: 530 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 12:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

When Kaga was refit in 1936 the bridge was moved from the hull centerline to the island after teh flight deck was enxtended, and I would imagine the hull was bulged to counter the weight changes.

Although it's feasible that the kit (if it is in fact Kaga) could be engineered to allow for both versions (as separate releases), I'm not sure it's economically viable.

It's one of those situations - the pre-war version would probably sell well in Japan but not in rest of the market, while a Battle of Midway version would sell well everywhere.

Hey - it's only speculation. I've heard nothing definitive on what it'll be.

Personally, I'm still hoping it's Takao or Myoko.

Jeff

Good point that the alleged Hasegawa version is post-rebuild. I guess the question then becomes, what changes (if any) did Kaga undergo between 1936 and 1941? According to her TROM over at Combined Fleet, she was in the yard from late March to early May 1942 to repair damage from an accidental Feb 1942 grounding.

Check this picture out. If this is what can be done to a 1/700th Kaga, imagine the possiblities with a 350th scale version!

Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 09:15 AM UTC
My info is Kaga was bulged when refitted. The bulges were 1.5 meters wide. More importantly her stern was lengthened by 10.3 meters aft, so she could maintain her speed with the wider hull.

_GOTOTOP