_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
HMS Invincible
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 574 posts
Model Shipwrights: 530 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 08:42 PM UTC
Continuing to work on my 1/350 HMS Invincible. I've been trying to concentrate on the forward superstructure, but I've run into some issues with the layout of some of the platforms. I want the model to represent the Invincible at the Battle of the Falkland Islands in December 1914, but the kit seems to be a mix of 1913 and 1914 configurations. So, I may have to make some assumptions and build her how I think she was, not how she might have actually have been. Anyway, here is how she looks as of last night:

Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 08:54 PM UTC
Looking great, Martin!
I'll check my reference pics when I get home this evening to see if I have any Falkland Island era references...thanks for the update!
~Gunny
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 08:57 PM UTC
Hi Martin

I must admit that my knowledge of WWI Battleships is not my Forte but even with those subtle (or not) differences I can see that you are making a wonderfull work with it!

I have to ask this:
The wooden deck on superstucture 01 is going to ve covered?
Or is it some kinf of linoleum?

Just curious because it looks so strong compared with the other colours around ....

Skipper
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 09:36 PM UTC
I'll see if my references give any information also. You certainly picked an interesting time frame, the Falklands, for modeling her.

If you're interested in a very good book on the battle, along with the earlier Coronel, I recommend Revenge at Sea, by Barrie Pitt.

Revenge at Sea

I'll never forget his description of how two officers on the bridge of the Scharnhorst sighted the distinctive tri-pod masts of a British battlecruiser and how shocked they were when they realized they had each spotted a different set of masts, TWO BCs!

DutchBird
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,144 posts
Model Shipwrights: 172 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 09:42 PM UTC
Martin,

the ship looks very beautiful. I am afraid I can not help you with any pictures though.

Just one question:

How, size-wise does she compare to some of the later vessels (say KGV/Bismarck). All I can say is that this is a serious inspiration for me...

Looking forward to the next updates,

Harm
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 10:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Martin,

the ship looks very beautiful. I am afraid I can not help you with any pictures though.

Just one question:

How, size-wise does she compare to some of the later vessels (say KGV/Bismarck). All I can say is that this is a serious inspiration for me...

Looking forward to the next updates,

Harm

Harm,

Thanks for the kind words. When launched, I believe Invincible was the largest warship in the world. She's probably about 2/3 the size of KGV, I'd guess. I actually laid her hull down next to the Tamiya Price of Wales. With the deck off, you can lay the Invincible INSIDE the hull of PoW

Quoted Text

Hi Martin

I must admit that my knowledge of WWI Battleships is not my Forte but even with those subtle (or not) differences I can see that you are making a wonderfull work with it!

I have to ask this:
The wooden deck on superstucture 01 is going to ve covered?
Or is it some kinf of linoleum?

Just curious because it looks so strong compared with the other colours around ....

Skipper

Skip,

Thanks - appreciate the comments. That is corticene, a linoleum covering. Gives it a little bit of color, doesn't it? The two bridge platforms above it will be the same color.

Quoted Text

I'll see if my references give any information also. You certainly picked an interesting time frame, the Falklands, for modeling her.

If you're interested in a very good book on the battle, along with the earlier Coronel, I recommend Revenge at Sea, by Barrie Pitt.
Revenge at Sea

I'll never forget his description of how two officers on the bridge of the Scharnhorst sighted the distinctive tri-pod masts of a British battlecruiser and how shocked they were when they realized they had each spotted a different set of masts, TWO BCs!

When I was a kid, my parents bought me a book about WW1 at sea - it was one of those 8.5 x 11 picture books. I still have it. Anyway, it started my fascination with WW1 ships, especially the battlecruisers.

I never read that book - I'll have to check it out. I remember reading in another account how Von Spee turned Scharnhorst and Gneisenau towards the British heavy weights, to allow his smaller ships the chance to escape. That's courage...
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 03:47 AM UTC
They used to say wooden ships and iron men, but I think when the ships chnaged to steel, the iron men remained. You read about that kind of bravery frequently in the annuals of Naval history. Some of the battles off Guadalcanal, Taffy3
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 09:13 AM UTC
The only info I could find is the forward stack on Invincible wasn't raised to higher than the other two until 1915. I can't tell from you picture is that is the case on your kit. The for and aft fighting tops were slightly different in 1912/1913, but the drawings I have is too poor for me to tell exactly how.

As to comparable size this might give an idea. In my book on BB/BC the Invincible is sidewise on an 8.5 x 11 inch page, so she's less than 8.5 inches long. Hood is lengthwise on the same size, so close to 11 inches long.

MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 09:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The only info I could find is the forward stack on Invincible wasn't raised to higher than the other two until 1915. I can't tell from you picture is that is the case on your kit. The for and aft fighting tops were slightly different in 1912/1913, but the drawings I have is too poor for me to tell exactly how.

As to comparable size this might give an idea. In my book on BB/BC the Invincible is sidewise on an 8.5 x 11 inch page, so she's less than 8.5 inches long. Hood is lengthwise on the same size, so close to 11 inches long.

Thanks for the help, guys. Someone on MW.com pointed me to someone who pretty much had what I needed.

Appreciate all the help and the kind words on my build!
 _GOTOTOP