_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
Hood: what if...
allycat
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 942 posts
Model Shipwrights: 278 posts
Posted: Friday, May 26, 2006 - 02:04 AM UTC
While leafing through my copy of Battleships and Battlecruisers I came across a (rather small) line drawing of the proposed refit Hood was to have undergone.
The principle points are:-
Reconfigured bridge tower along the lines of KGV class.
Tripod foremast
a hanger abaft (and around) the after funnel with a catapult athwartships aft of this.
Cranes on forward corners of new extended after superstructure with a pole mast between them, and,
8 x 5.25 inch twin turrets also resembling KGV's placements (1 abreast after funnel with another superfiring on a KGV style gunhouse abaft it, 1 at break of forecastle deck with 1 superfiring forward of it also on a gunhouse.
There are variouse extra AA weapons but the drawings too small to make them out.
Has anyone considered giving the Trumpeter kit a modernisation?
Regards
Tom
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Friday, May 26, 2006 - 03:18 AM UTC
If you're interested I'm pretty sure I have a drawing in one of my books that shows how she'd look after that re-fit. You described her pretty well. I have no idea how much work something like that would do, but I'd think at the least you'd need a 1/350 KGV or POW to donate some parts.

allycat
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 942 posts
Model Shipwrights: 278 posts
Posted: Friday, May 26, 2006 - 11:25 AM UTC
No plans as yet Rodger. Display space is too limited for a big ship.
I think a KGV would also be needed (it has more in the way of small AA guns, oerlikons and multiple pom-poms). The hanger would probably have to be scratched along with the after superstructure details.
Maybe one day...
Tom
 _GOTOTOP