_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
Invincible Update...
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 574 posts
Model Shipwrights: 530 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 07:00 PM UTC
Getting closer to the finish line with the Invincible. I've finished the forward superstructure and installed the support struts for the foremast tripod. The gun barrels for the secondary guns in the superstructure are actually 1/700 Japanese 6in gun barrels meant for the Mogami-class. Pretty close match.

Still lots of little touch up work to do. Many of the kit parts are very rough. Once I finish the current round of touch up painting, I can start adding the photo-etch in earnest.

Once Invincible is done, it's onto the Dreadnought...
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 1,610 posts
Model Shipwrights: 566 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 09:50 PM UTC
Very nice work indeed!

Interesting to see the layout of the main gun turrets, particularly the two amidships. Is there enough clearance for either (or both) of these turrets to rotate in the "opposite" direction, clear the forward stack/aft deck house, and fire across the centerline of the hull in the opposite direction? There's such a large gap between the structures that it almost seems intentional to allow that.

Tom
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 01, 2006 - 12:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Very nice work indeed!

Interesting to see the layout of the main gun turrets, particularly the two amidships. Is there enough clearance for either (or both) of these turrets to rotate in the "opposite" direction, clear the forward stack/aft deck house, and fire across the centerline of the hull in the opposite direction? There's such a large gap between the structures that it almost seems intentional to allow that.

Tom

Thank you sir.

Barely. There was alot of blast damage/stress on the deck and the opposite turret is one turret was fired across the beam, so IIRC, it was kept to a minimum. In the follow up Indefagitable class, the turrets were able to fire across the hull.
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 01, 2006 - 07:50 PM UTC
Added the masts and yards last night out of different sizes of brass rod. Also started adding the bracing for the masts.

skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 01, 2006 - 08:34 PM UTC
She's turning out great Martin

I don't want to be too picky, but shouldn't the tripod black painting be leveled?
Appart from that I don't noticed anything other than the puttied areas that, as you mentioned, need to be painted

Congrats on a(nother) beauty
As sure she will turn out

Skipper

PS: sorry for the late feedback, still catching up
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 01, 2006 - 11:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

She's turning out great Martin

I don't want to be too picky, but shouldn't the tripod black painting be leveled?
Appart from that I don't noticed anything other than the puttied areas that, as you mentioned, need to be painted

Congrats on a(nother) beauty
As sure she will turn out

Skipper

PS: sorry for the late feedback, still catching up

Thanks Skipper. All comments are welcome, don't worry about being picky if it helps me build a better model!

Speaking of the black, I'm trying to figure out if the black on the legs of the tripod mast only goes as far as the bottom of the spotting top, or if the whole spotting top was black.

In this photo, you can see the Invincible at speed chasing Von Spee's squadron. I can't tell if the spotting top is just dirty or is painted black.

Once I figure that out, I can paint the spotting top and the masts the appropriate colors.

_GOTOTOP