_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Suggestions for seabed?
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 01, 2006 - 08:54 PM UTC
I HOPE to be able to start working on the seabed for the 'wreck of the Bismarck.' I have no idea how to the seabed for this dio. On the few dios I've done in the past I've used either Celeclay, or spackling compound, like you use on walls. This ship is so long that I'm not sure either of those are really going to work all that well. I've got to have enough of the lower hull embedded in whatever material I choose to give the impression of the wreck being buried in the mud.

Any ideas on what to use?

skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 01, 2006 - 09:02 PM UTC
Hi Rodger

Plaster sounds a good choice...
Here they sell it still in dust * and you have to add water until you get the needed consistency - it dryes relatively fast so you could place your Bismark once the plaster has already some consistency and achieve the effect you said- you can also add some sand so that the sea bed isn't too "plain" and have some texture...

* They also sell it already mixed in pound, two pounds and ten pounds buckets, but I prefer to mix it myself

The Celuclay you state can also be a good choice if you can thin it down a little

Hope this helps

Skipper
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 981 posts
Posted: Friday, June 02, 2006 - 05:54 AM UTC
To cut down on the thickness, just cut down the hull to near the height you want exposed. Doesn't even have to be pretty, since it will be embedded in the ground work.
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,242 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,064 posts
Posted: Friday, June 02, 2006 - 09:24 AM UTC
I was going to suggest plaster as well. Perhaps dental plaster if you can obtain it. It seems to pour with less chances of air bubbles.

Rui is a quick draw tonight, that vacation must have really done the trick.
 _GOTOTOP