_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
HMS Majestic and CTS Empress
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,242 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,064 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 03:46 AM UTC
A friend of mine who owns an antique store that specializes in Scottish items, puchased several boxes that as it turned out, contained glass slides that were produced by a photographer named Fraser. Among the slides were two photographs, one of the HMS Majestic, a pre-Dreadnought battleship that was sank off of Gallipoli on 27 May 1915 by U-21. The other, is of a masted ship, the CTS Empress. However in the case of the Empress I can't find any information. Does anyone know what "CTS" stands for or can point the way to so information about this ship? I'm having prints made of these slides along with some other really cool prints of various scenes (including a great one of an artillary and a cavalry unit that also includes a Mk. IV Female) and individuals from the Black Watch and other units....... I digress. At any rate, I would like to have some background information to go along with my photo of the Empress.

Thanks
Steve
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 02:50 PM UTC
Yoikes, Steve...
I've heard of quite a few Empress vessels, mate (Empress of China, Empress of Ireland, Empress of Russia, etc,) but never as the CTS Empress...You really have peaked my interest though, mate, and now I'm on a definite mission to finding this one out...someone else may beat me to it, but I'm going to keep scouring my references! I would really be interested in seeing these prints too (hint-hint!)...
~Gunny
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 12:53 AM UTC
Everytime I plug "CTS Empress" into a net search, I get back sites on Celtic Music.....

I don't know, maybe I should look to see if they're songs about the ship......
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 981 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 02:43 AM UTC
CPR was a prefix for ships of the Canadian Pacific Railway that were impress or used during WW2. They retained the CPR prefix before the name throughout the war, instead of RCN or HMS, or RAN.

I think your mystery ship falls into this area. Now just to figure out a major transport company like Canadian Pacific Railroad, with CTS and we may have a winner.....

Could you post a photo of the mystery ship, just might help ID her.
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 04:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Could you post a photo of the mystery ship, just might help ID her.

at the moment, no. The image is on a glass slide (type used for lantern projectors) and they have not been sent to a print shop to be copied yet.

I do recall that she had two main masts and at first glance I thought she was a Man-O War. She had a fairly wide beam and I thought she sat low in the water. The majority of these photos I recall were taken in the late 1880s, the 1890s, and then others were taken during WWI.

Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 981 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 06:29 AM UTC
OK... let me search for some older ones...... LOL
see what I can come up with.....

Edit----- OK spent 3 hours last night trying to find something, and came up empty handed.
 _GOTOTOP