Topics on building dioramas are grouped here
I got the kits for the dio of my grandfathers
redneck
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,602 posts
Model Shipwrights: 665 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 09:12 PM UTC
I got the stuff I’ll be needing in the mail yesterday and just wanted to show it off and ask for any advice or opinions before starting the project.

For those of you that don’t know this will really be 2 projects, a test ship on a base followed by the real Dio of the ship my grandfather served on during the Korean War. DE 351 the Maurice J. Manuel. And when finished I will be giving the dio to him as a surprise gift (he doesn’t know I’m building it)
My grandfather left the navy after his time on the ship but had first joined during WWII when he spent the last year of the war on a drydock out in the Pacific. Also during Korea he first served on a base along the west coast before transferring to the ship.

So here’s the stuff for both the True and the test one (the Japanese destroyer).
PS: theres still some paint and a second of the DE PE set on backorder. This also doesn’t include the wood and glass that will be used as the base and display box.

The Skywave kit contains parts to make 2 Butler class DEs. I will have the 351 up front with a 2nd (haven’t decided which yet and would appreciate any ideas) back behind it and to the side some.

This will also be my first attempt at creating water and at using PE.

It’s a very special project to me so I will probably be asking a lot of questions to try to keep from messing it up.

Thanks for looking and as I said above I would appreciated any advise, comments or suggestion for this project.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 09:51 PM UTC
Hi Jacob

Hmm I see you got all packed up with good stuff
Now for the advices:
- Get (if you don't) a good cutter for removing the PE from the carrier - those are very delicate parts and if you make a little more strenght or torsion you will ruin it; use a glassed tile and a new 11 blade or a special tweaser (Tamiya Tools)
- Get (again as above) a bending tool; it can be flat nose plyers, a etchmate, a fenderbender... you choose; the result is very noticeable (for the positive side)
- to make the water in 1/700: I am in the process of making a feature to show how I made the water in 1/700 for USS Forrest Sherman and also for USS Arizona Dio - please wait a little more (until the end of the month) and I will explain how I do it... Of course there are other techniques, but I like this one!

I will check if the Buttler box (got it at home) already have the excellent armament and fittings that Pitroad sold in separate boxes. If not, I'll let you know

Hope this helps and keep us posted on your project progress

Skipper

EDIT: Some images with the 1/700 sea
You can check more here: http://photos.kitmaker.net/showgallery.php/cat/15871

redneck
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 11:11 PM UTC
Thanks Skipper.

I have a new pack of #11s on the shelf and plenty of pliers and stuff to do the bending with.
I’m thinking of setting a piece of glass on my workbench to do the PE on but I’m not positive it its thick enough.

I’ll check out your feature on the water. I wont get around to it until next month anyway (need to finish 2 campaigns first) so the wait won’t be a problem.
And your water really looks good.

And let me know if you find anything interesting in there. Especially if by chance you find any hedgehogs. The PE sets appear to lack anything for them.
If you do let me know and we’ll work something out.

Also I can’t guarantee it but I might get around to doing a review for one of the kits.

Also I have a question to ask you guys. What would be the best way to build the rear mast? I’m thinking of using thin plastic rods but I don’t know how to add the cross bar?
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Friday, June 16, 2006 - 03:03 AM UTC
1. As to the cross bar on the mast. You might use a mixture of plastic rod and kit pieces. If the mast is thick enough you may put a small notch in the mast portion and put the cross piece there.

Rue:

On the color of your dioram water is there a way to change the color. Your's is way to dark blue for my taste. I'ld have to green it up a bit
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 03:00 AM UTC
Hi Jacob

Please send me your Home address via PM
I have some hedgehogs I can spare

Hi Steve - again
I'll pass the Rue :-) but I wont pass the water colour :-)
I have seen during my cruises different shades of water from blue black, ultramarine blue, grey green... you choose - it's a question of setting your ship in the proper area, and I choose the Mid Atlantic to put my Forrest Sherman in - but no offense taken :-) :-)

Skipper
redneck
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 05:53 PM UTC
For the rear mast after looking at a few pictures it looks as if it tappers in some so I may try doing it with stretched plastic like used for antennas. I don’t think it will be thick enough to notch.

Skipper I really appreciate the offer but I’ll have to do some research first. (Of course you guys can probably help me with this.)
Looking at some pictures I’ve come up with 2 questions on that area.
First looking at some pictures of the hedgehogs I’m wondering if they are able to be “closed”. If this is the case would they only be opened when firing?
If they were only open when firing then I’ll have to display them closed and the ones with the kit might work.
Also trying to figure things out for the above question it appears that be area behind the front gun may have been changed before she went back into service (I can’t be positive as I’m the pictures are at deferent angles) I need to look into and see wether the weapon system may have been changed.

If I’m able to use them I’ll send you my address. I hope you don’t mind. I just don’t want to make you go to the trouble of sending them out and then discover I don’t need the.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 09:06 PM UTC
Hi Jacob

No issue here
About the hedgehogs and your doubts - no they can not be closed. That part that seems to be a open hatch is actually the blast shield - so that the blast is only trown forward and protect the aft area

Hope this helps

Skipper
redneck
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 11:46 PM UTC
Well guys the secrets out.
With it being fathers day I decided to go ahead and tell my grandfather about the project and show him what I had so far. And yes he did like it.
So now I’ll be able to ask him about the details as well.

Thanks Skipper. I had thought that was what it was at first but then I wasn’t sure. I was also able to discover that no changes were made in that area between wars. (It appears it may have been changed later on.)
I’ll PM you about the hedgehog right away.
 _GOTOTOP