_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Want to be part of a group build? This is where to start, plan, and meet about them.
Future Campaign Ideas?
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 04:06 PM UTC
Ahoy mates!
With the soon closure of two of our most recent campaigns held in Garry Beebe's honor, Dreadnoughts! and Flattops!, I've been kicking around a few ideas in my head for some FUTURE warship campaigns...

Two of which, that may appeal to a wide audience, could be one, centered around small military crafts, the submarine killers, or PT and Scnellboots, and the second one, a military riverine craft campaign...

What do you think? Lets use this thread constructively and discuss some ideas of FUTURE warship campaigns...we have DDD2 to keep us busy and Leyte Gulf is next, but we need to make some plans for some following builds...How about it, mates?
~Gunny
redneck
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,602 posts
Model Shipwrights: 665 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 05:39 PM UTC
After doing 1 for battleships 1 for carriers 1 one for subs we could always continue the trend and do 1 for cruisers and 1 for destroyers.

Of course I kind of like the your idea of a campaign for the smaller vessels as well.

Also would be nice trying another one that we could fit are flying friends into again like we did with flattops.
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 981 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 07:49 PM UTC
Small craft sounds good to me, I also thought we were planning a sailing ship one, or was that scraped?
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 07:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Small craft sounds good to me, I also thought we were planning a sailing ship one, or was that scraped?

Dave, the "Oars and Wind" will more than likely just be a group build, for fun only, with a less stringent time frame, in case someone wants to be brave and tackle a plank on plank! But it's still in the makings, mate!
~Gunny
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,169 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,597 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 08:13 PM UTC
Hi Mark

Thanks for bringing this up. I appreciate someone is looking 12 or so months ahead.

I personally like the idea of a small vessel based campaign PT or E Boats etc.

Regards

Sean
Frigate
Visit this Community
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 205 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 08:29 PM UTC
Gents,
Along the small craft line, might I suggest "Special Operations" of any time period ? We might get some extremely interesting unusual entries - such as SBS Kayaks, PT's, Riverine, etc. Just a thought for everyone to consider.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 09:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Gents,
Along the small craft line, might I suggest "Special Operations" of any time period ? We might get some extremely interesting unusual entries - such as SBS Kayaks, PT's, Riverine, etc. Just a thought for everyone to consider.

I like it, Bruce, kind of on the same lines that I was thinking of...how about something a little more specific?
~Gunny
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 981 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 10:36 PM UTC
Thanks mark, being senile, I sometimes forget what I had for breakfast, and along with senile, comes mass confussion... :-)
Frigate
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 10:38 PM UTC
Gunny,
As far as narrowing it down, that can be adjusted as all want. The main title could be "Maritime Special OPs". As far as the time period, that is the part I love, because it gets people thinking out of the box ! Example ? - OK, 1775 David Bushnell's run against the British Fleet in New York. - The American Civil War is full of interesting side raids. I have no doubt other countries amateur historians can come up with plenty of unusual raids. Obviously the 20th century would be huge, but again get people thinking. My personnel favorite would be WWII. There is soooooo much there ! The Italian Frogman raids, The British "Dog-Boats" and their war in the Med, the German plan from U-295 with 2 Bibers carried piggyback, the list goes on and on ! Not only would it be interesting modelling, but we actually might learn something !
But this is just an idea for all to consider, so what say Ye, Mates ?
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 574 posts
Model Shipwrights: 530 posts
Posted: Monday, June 26, 2006 - 12:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

we could always continue the trend and do 1 for cruisers and 1 for destroyers.

I like that idea...
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 26, 2006 - 02:49 PM UTC
Ahoy Mates!
Some good ideas and good discussion so far...let's keep it going! I like your idea too, Jacob, makes perfect sense to me to carry on with Garry's campaigns in this manner, mate...and there's plenty of subject matter available to keep us busy!
~Gunny
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
KitMaker: 2,174 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, June 26, 2006 - 03:05 PM UTC
A small boats and/or SF theme might pull in people from other modelling areas because of the dio possibilities too. And even us figgies.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 26, 2006 - 03:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

A small boats and/or SF theme might pull in people from other modelling areas because of the dio possibilities too. And even us figgies.

My sentiments exactly, mate! I really enjoyed having the wingnuts involved with The Flattops Campaign...kind of helps to keep the family together, know what I mean?
~Gunny
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
Posted: Monday, June 26, 2006 - 04:36 PM UTC
How 'bout a marines campaign? Watercraft used by marine forces.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 26, 2006 - 05:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Right up MY alley, mate!
How about expanding a little more on this idea, Mr. Blacker?
~Gunny
Navy52
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 26 posts
Model Shipwrights: 14 posts
Posted: Monday, June 26, 2006 - 07:28 PM UTC
I suggest Cruisers, lots of really good new cruisers on the market, US, German and Japanese. RN ones are mostly in resin though. Rich
redneck
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,602 posts
Model Shipwrights: 665 posts
Posted: Monday, June 26, 2006 - 09:30 PM UTC
I like the marines idea as well.
I must ask would this also allow amphibious vehicles used my the marines? Preferably ones modeled in the water.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 26, 2006 - 10:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I like the marines idea as well.
I must ask would this also allow amphibious vehicles used my the marines? Preferably ones modeled in the water.

Why Not!?
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
Posted: Monday, June 26, 2006 - 11:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Right up MY alley, mate!
How about expanding a little more on this idea, Mr. Blacker?
~Gunny

Well, basically all watercraft that belong to marine forces (not craft that just transport them). No landing craft or amphib assault ships or helicopter carriers (unless they are actually crewed by marines). Should be craft made for the water primarily, but that can include those that can go ashore too (so no M113s or seaplanes).
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 12:12 AM UTC
Hi All

I would go definetly for a Small Craft Campaign it would help clear the stash from same big boxes :-)
Also like the Cruiser Campaign and thinking about this, remainded me of another option (sorry guys): The Forgotten Combatants: Frigates and Corvetes.... we always talk about the big Flattops, battleships and cruisers and forget these Little Big Helpers

What do you think?

Skipper
Frigate
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 12:58 AM UTC
Ahhhh............The Frigates and Corvettes ! Talk about the unsung heros of almost any time period. They get the tough day to day work - with none of the "Glory". Right up to today's versions. I'd have to vote for your idea best, Skipper. So what say the crew ?
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 03:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi All

I would go definetly for a Small Craft Campaign it would help clear the stash from same big boxes :-)
Also like the Cruiser Campaign and thinking about this, remainded me of another option (sorry guys): The Forgotten Combatants: Frigates and Corvetes.... we always talk about the big Flattops, battleships and cruisers and forget these Little Big Helpers

What do you think?

Skipper

Hmmm...Beebe's Forgotten Combatants Campaign...I like it!
~Gunny
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 03:47 AM UTC
[quote]
Quoted Text

Hi All

What do you think?

Skipper

Hmmm...Beebe's Forgotten Combatants Campaign...I like it!

I'm definitely up for a small craft campaign, Rui...
OK mates, let's keep the ideas rolling! What else have we got??!!
~Gunny
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 04:02 AM UTC
Hmmm.....small crafts and forgotten combatants. I've got a resin PC-566 just beggin' to be built.

Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 04:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hmmm.....small crafts and forgotten combatants. I've got a resin PC-566 just beggin' to be built.

Yah Mahn!

_GOTOTOP