_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
HMS Dreadnought 1/350
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 01:26 AM UTC
Hey Martin,

Excellent build mate. I love the look of power those big guns give this ship. Very impressive.

Kenny
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 574 posts
Model Shipwrights: 530 posts
Posted: Monday, August 28, 2006 - 08:36 PM UTC
She is done! Yesterday, August 28th, my buddy and I delivered the Invincible, Dreadnought and Tirpitz to the Battleship New Jersey museum in scenic Camden, New Jersey. Then, the curator was kind enough to arrange a behind the scenes tour of the ship for us!

Notice the difference in size between the Tirpitz (foreground), Invincible (middle) and Dreadnought (rear).
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Monday, August 28, 2006 - 09:02 PM UTC
Hi Martin

They came out excellent as usual with your craftmanship
Nice going on the extra tour It's always nice to get a little treat for all our effort!
I hope you had a nice vacation btw
Bravo Zulu Martin!!

So... what's next???

Skipper
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 28, 2006 - 09:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

So... what's next???

Skipper

Thanks Skipper, appreciate the kudos. As for what's next....if I don't finish the Amagi for the Flattop build, Gunny may come and hunt me down!! :-)

Also have a 1/350 pre-Dreadnought USS Illinois lined up...
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 02:55 PM UTC
What a truely fantastic piece. I have watched this being built along with your Invincible with great admiration of your skills. Even more impressive to me is the speed in which you can accomplish this. It took me close to 4 months to build Trumpeter's NImitz and I doubt that was more difficult than just one of these ships. Of course it did have a lot more parts :-) :-) :-)

Who makes these kits? Are they OOB or did you scratch out a lot of the stuff? And if you tell me they are both entirely scratch built, I'll vomit. :-) :-)
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 07:20 PM UTC
Stupid question:

Are those two 1/350 Devastators (one with wings folded)?
Just curious

Skipper
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 981 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 07:51 PM UTC
Looks good Martin.
Best regards to the Garwood Boys.
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 08:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What a truely fantastic piece. I have watched this being built along with your Invincible with great admiration of your skills. Even more impressive to me is the speed in which you can accomplish this. It took me close to 4 months to build Trumpeter's NImitz and I doubt that was more difficult than just one of these ships. Of course it did have a lot more parts :-) :-) :-)

Who makes these kits? Are they OOB or did you scratch out a lot of the stuff? And if you tell me they are both entirely scratch built, I'll vomit. :-) :-)

Thank you sir, appreciate the kind words. They are both resin kits. The Invincible was the Iron Shipwright kit. The Dreadnought was from Rhino Models "Steel Navy" line. He was rumored to have a 1/350 Derfflinger lined up, but that never went any further, to my knowledge. The Dreadnought master has been acquired by Iron Shipwright and will be released by them this fall, last I heard.

The Invincible needed a lot of work to make is accurate, so there is some scratch-built stuff there. The Dreadnought was closer to being "out of the box", but I did have to add the torpedo net shelf, among other things.

Quoted Text

Stupid question:

Are those two 1/350 Devastators (one with wings folded)?
Just curious

Skipper

Yes, Skip, they are! There is also a 3rd TBD with wings fully extended hiding back there. They were part of the airgroup for the Saratoga I build for the museum last fall. At the time I finished the model, I ran out of time and just didn't have time to finish them. So, I finished them last week and brought them down with me for the curator to add to the deck.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 12:33 AM UTC
Old "eagle-eye" Skipper. It took me about 30 seconds to find them after I read his post. :-) :-)

Thanks for the info on the kits. Someday; if I ever gt a job; I'm going to do a resin ship. Did that great big old 10 ton tractor in full resin a couple of years ago. It's still haulin around my kit-bashed M60 round turret.
 _GOTOTOP