_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
hooked a Great White
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 03:23 AM UTC
well, I got my $20 Yamato today. Looked at layout and this upcoming conversion is going to be a really big challenge. All the placements for the additional AA are molded into the deck piece. In one way, it makes it real easy to remove. I could take a razor saw and just cut it all away from the superstructure piece, then replace it with a piece of sheet syrene. Easy squeege. The hard part is replacing the wooden deck detail. Be nice if someone like cavalier or atak made those paper thin sheets with that. Plan to try to do something like that or cast some pieces and chop and add. Also check out plastistruct and see if maybe they have some special sheet styrene sheets that archetects use to build models and want to show wood . Look forward to getting Kenny's Tamiya kit. Man this one is obviously a cheap recast. Plastic is kind of thick but it seems to fit adequately with the decks and hull. Well one way or another I'm going to get this done. Thata's why I picked up this extra one. Oh I also got the Lion's Roar brass barrel main gun turet detail set for a real cheap price with it.. Somethng spectacular will come out of this project. With start date in October and a yaer to finish it I sould have more than engh time. to gather material and finish research. I've already printed up 25 pictures of detail drawings and sketches. I highly recommend the Anatomy of a Ship series book.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Friday, July 14, 2006 - 02:17 AM UTC
Well guys I just overcame a major hurdle. Thanks to the responses I got from the Modelwarship guys I found out that Evergreen had something called Nscale siding. The grain matched up perfectly with the decking. So now my task got simplified. I just cut away the whole section and replace it. So now all I have to do is make to 6 inch gun turrets. It also means I will be able to take the kit that I won from Gator and backdate it to the actual configuration of the battle rather than the final end of the war version. I guess my great white can be downgraded to a mere Mako now.
 _GOTOTOP