_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
What's in your drydock?
warvos
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 350 posts
Model Shipwrights: 142 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 02:10 PM UTC

I have to agree with Jim's post that the content on model shipwrights is slowly picking up pace, but isn't yet on the same speed like before. This probably has a lot to do with a combination of factors.. .summer holidays, or it's too hot outside, and due to this heat, some may be a little more distracted by "real life" models roaming the sunny streets than the usual plastic ones sitting on the workbench...
I've only recently rejoined the site, so I don't know if this topic has been already discusses lately or not..

Maybe it can help to get the engines fired up again if we share with eachother what we have on our shipyard, or maybe already in the drydock, or simply still awaiting the first beams for the keel?
This way maybe we find some encouragement to see other shipmates' projects, or find a soulmate who maybe working on the same kit like you but just needs a little push to get things on the road again?

I'll start :
- 1/350 musashi with Wem pm... started this one for the dreadnought campaign, but I got stuck during contstruction of the AA guns, which just takes too long, and there are tooooooo many... ( on hold since 8 months)
- 1/72 Flower Corvette: hull is constructed and painted , R/c equipment is almost installed, but I never found the courage to proceed with the upperdeck. (on hold for more than a year now)
-1/72 pt109: fully completed, and put on a dio, but the groundplate warped, and now I need to make a seabase which is a litle more seaworthy.. but it's so hot that the plaster dries up in my hands or on the base before I can level it out... (or so i tell myself)
-1/100 hms victory (heller).. hull is constructed and painted (with the lines in the wrong place.. duh...back to zero)

and here's a list of things I want to do, (but can't because of all the above which is paying with my conscience.... :-)

- 1/72 s-100 with flak armament
-1/72 Gato sub when it's out
-1/72 VII atlantic version (so my other one finally gets a sistership to fight off the cat trying to sink her)

Now let's hear what you have lined up!!!!!
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 03:12 PM UTC
working on a Panther "D" for the tank aces campaign. Doing a Barkman. Gathering up research on the Yamato. Got 2 350 scale so I'm going with one as originally built, and the other backdated as well to how she looked at Leyte Gulf. Got most of my materials, though I'll probably pick up a GMM PE set to enhance. Of course I can't start that project until late October.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 03:29 PM UTC
Ahoy, mates...
On the bench this month,
For DDD2, Trump's 1/144 Chinese Type 33G Sub, for my tutorial column in "Sharkhunters" Magazine, Revells 1/220 USS Lionfish Sub,and for MSW a full build review of Italeri Models' 1/35 WWII LCVP.
~Gunny
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 981 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 05:16 PM UTC
I have my DDD entry, on hold until I finish up my SCW piece.
Deciding on "oars and sails".
strawberry5
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 9 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 06:12 PM UTC
Currently in Dock......

1/350:
U.S.S. Nimitz
U.S.S. Enterprise
building both together at same time
U.S.S. Hornet (during breaks from those two)
Burke class dd...need to add rails and touch up some paint

then just some odd and ends in 1/35 for a break while things dry and set
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 574 posts
Model Shipwrights: 530 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 07:52 PM UTC
Still working on the HMS Dreadnought - not much progress lately, with real life issues getting in the way
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 1,610 posts
Model Shipwrights: 566 posts
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2006 - 01:36 AM UTC
I got started on my USS Columbus, SSN 762 for the DDD2 Campaign, but haven't done anything for a couple of weeks. I'm planning on taking pictures of all the work, and so I'm at a stopping point for that. I may do a bit before I head out on vacation, and if not, I'll hit it when I get back.

I also have the Tamiya 1/350 Fletcher which I'm planning on doing as a late war square bridge with the Emergency AA refit.

I still have several of the old "box scale" auxiliaries, including an APA, a tanker and a Hospital ship. These guys will take some work, and I wish that not only were they actual 1/350 scale but they don't have full hulls.

As far as armor is concerned I have a TON of kits there I'm behind on, and I've taken on another project for a co-worker to do a Leopard.

(I'm gonna have to quit this day job gig to have enough time to do all this stuff!!!)

Tom
jRatz
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,171 posts
Model Shipwrights: 134 posts
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2006 - 05:51 AM UTC
After bailing out on the ISW North Carolina, then on the Trumpeter version of same, my drydock is clear of ships. (Well, I have an LCM to go on a Dragon Wagon which isn't being worked either.)

I have a good half-dozen ships 'en stash, but only have interest in the Trumpeter Liberty Ship & the ISW PCE-827. I am also collecting the GLS P/E sets to someday start my 1/72 corvette ...

I have the Trumpeter CV-3 Saratoga on pre-order & enough bipes to populate the deck ...

Much of my work these days is aircraft ...

John
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2006 - 06:27 AM UTC
I have a figure for a campaign on the table right now. My hybred Panther and DDD2 subjects are lurking in the background.

On Deck....
1/350 USS Kidd using Trump's new Sullivans kit.
1/700 USS Franklin for Leyte Gulf Campaign
1/350 USS Searcher using Trump's liberty ship.

and a lot more in the stash.
Adolph
Visit this Community
Nelson, New Zealand
KitMaker: 171 posts
Model Shipwrights: 36 posts
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2006 - 10:52 AM UTC
In the process of painting and weathering the rail wagons for the Trumpeter Karl Morser . Built the Karl part of the kit about a year ago, and now have a wall unit arriving soon that will take the full Karl kit, hooked up to the Trumpeter Kriegs lokomotive BR 52 that is waitng for me to complete the Karl, and another rail wagon.

There are also four bays in the unit for the three 350 scale Tamiyas I have built to date (Bismark, Yamato, Missouri) and I have joined the hull parts together on my recently arrived Trumpeter HMS Hood. I am basically an out of box builder but have fitted some PE parts, such as the crane and radars to the Yamato.
 _GOTOTOP