_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
desperate for parts
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Model Shipwrights: 80 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2006 - 04:39 PM UTC
Hi guys, I'm desperate for Artesania Latina metal portholes.
My local shop claims this item, which is sold two to a bag may be discontinued.
They come as shiney and matte colored metal.
It's Artesania Latina parts # 8211- portholes.
Thanks in advance, without these I can't finish my freighter.

Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2006 - 04:50 PM UTC
Hey Cheyenne!
Man, major tough break...
I don't know of anywhere online (except E-bay) that may be able to help you out here, mate. Have you thought about making a mold of one of the castings and re-cast your own in resin?
~Gunny
cheyenne
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2006 - 05:09 PM UTC
Hi Mark, yea I know it's gonna hurt the build big time if I can't come up with a good substitute or cast my own from a mould.
It's just so nice to drill a hole, pop these babies in and set the brass brads in the holes, casts and moulds are more work, and I've got alot to do on this project l.o.l.
Thanks Mark, usually some hobby stores carry Latina parts for scratch ship builders, I guess I'm gonna have to dig deep.
Cheyenne

Oh yeah by the way where in Penn. are you Mark, I was going to retire first in Del. then in Vt. by my brother, but now the land, houses and prices are right in Wayne and Pike Cty. Penn. around Lake Wallenpaupack [ gotta have my boat and some fathoms ]. l.o.l. As a matter of fact we're headed out that way tommorrow to look at some houses.
Thanks again - Cheyenne
Gunny
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2006 - 06:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Oh yeah by the way where in Penn. are you Mark, I was going to retire first in Del. then in Vt. by my brother, but now the land, houses and prices are right in Wayne and Pike Cty. Penn. around Lake Wallenpaupack [ gotta have my boat and some fathoms ]. l.o.l. As a matter of fact we're headed out that way tommorrow to look at some houses.
Thanks again - Cheyenne

I live in a small town im Western PA, mate, called Ellwood City, about 50 miles north of Pittsburgh...PA. is a great state to live in, I've been all over the country, lived in quite a few states, but there's no place like home!
~Gunny

redneck
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,602 posts
Model Shipwrights: 665 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2006 - 07:53 PM UTC
Cheyenne whats the dia of those?
I don’t know where you could buy any but I may have an idea to easily make some.
Just let me know the dia and I’ll get back to you.

I’ll agree PAs a great place to live. But just remember if you don’t like the snow stay at the lower elevations.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, July 24, 2006 - 12:51 AM UTC
Keith Magee carries a great line of casting stuff. He has a system that includes making a soft mold of the subject and then pouring the resin in. It isn't too expensive. If you have a lot of those porthole covers to make, this is the way to go. I build stuff (pieces of ruined buildings) for him, he casts it and sells it. I'm planning on casting some ship parts this weekend for some stuff I plan to do in the future.
cheyenne
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 04:49 PM UTC
Thanks guys, sorry I haven't gotten back to anyone sooner but I've been day tripping back and forth to Penn. looking at houses.
Jacob, the snow won't bother me I'll be retired and watching it from next to the fireplace, or from a studio in one of the homes I might buy. l.o.l.
Steve thanks I'll have to get in touch with Keith.
Oh and Jacob, the diameter is 5 eighths from outside edge to edge and 3 eighths opening, the only problem is that there is a section of metal, in depth of 1 eighth and a hair.
Thanks again - Cheyenne
alross2
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 317 posts
Model Shipwrights: 308 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 05:11 PM UTC
While they are not online, The Dromedary in Belton, TX carries a lot of the European stuff. So does Model Expo, which is online - www.modelexpo-online.com

Al Ross
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 05:13 PM UTC
Hi Cheyenne,

Don't know if it will help but netmerchants in the UK stock their range of products try:

http://www.netmerchants.co.uk/

might find something there. Mike the chap who runs it is very helpful so if he hasn't got them and they are available he would order them for you.

Cheers

Al

Edit: Netmerchants have the 7mm and 15mm portholes, sorry I didn't check the part no.

Al

Edit, Edit!!! - 8211 porthole 15mm listed on page 10 and available, just search for Manufacturer and look on page 10. Mike accepts US currency and their service is excellent.

Al
redneck
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,602 posts
Model Shipwrights: 665 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 06:50 PM UTC
Cheyenne I’m not sure I can come up with anything in that size.
My original idea was that they could be made from a spent shell casing by cutting the sides off at an appropriate height to make the lip and then drilling out the cental. The holes around the rim could be made with a small drill or a sharp nail.
I just don’t have any casing the right size. The best bet to try would be ether a 20ga or 28ga but I don’t have anything in those sizes so I cant help you there.

I know this would be a little different from how you were planing on making them but it could be easier if you can find one the correct size.

_GOTOTOP