_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Need help with hull.
redneck
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,602 posts
Model Shipwrights: 665 posts
Posted: Friday, July 28, 2006 - 07:12 PM UTC
Ok I have to questions on the hull for my Sakura.
The hull is 1 piece plus it has a plate that glues across the bottom.

First I’m wondering if I mussed up a little? I have already glued the plate on and am now wondering if it would have been better to have screwed the bottom plate to my base before gluing the rest of the hull on?
It appears that now my only option will be to glue the ship to the base.

Next the hull doesn’t sit flat. It appears one or both ends of the ship may be bent upwards a bit and I think this is effecting the way some parts fit on the hull during dry fitting.
Any suggestions on how to fix this problem?
I know I could glue it to the base but I would prefer not to do that until after I’ve sprayed it.
Gunny
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Friday, July 28, 2006 - 07:56 PM UTC
Hey Neighbor!

I'm pretty sure that you're talkin bout the waterline plate for the bottom, Jake...I don't think that you flubbed up, but it may make for some problems with trying to correct the warpage problem that you're also experiencing...
It seems that it's almost inevitable that the larger the molded part, the more prone to some sort of warpage there will be with it. I've had luck with correcting minor warpage with using a hair dryer to heat up the point of warpage and carefully, and stress, carefully, manipulate in the opposite direction of warpage...
Or you can try to add, or subtract material (putty, styrene) to the non-warped ares to try to build up and make the surfaces even. Either way, warpage is a pain in the butt and can make the whole build a miserable experience, until you correct it some way...but hey, that's why it's called modeling, eh?
~Gunny
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 02:30 AM UTC
Unfortuneatly, all I can do is offer Monday morning quarterbacking here. I am unfamilar with what you are building. I am best guessing that it is one of the 700 scale Japanese DD's of the like I built in the 70'3. They used to contain a little metal strip that glued to the inside. This was for weight. As to warpage, It would depend on how bad it is. When I discovered this in one of my kits back then, I generally found that it was either the hull or the Red bottom piece. In any case I glued it up first then put a heavy book on top. It worked most of the time, or at least lessened the noticable hump.
redneck
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,602 posts
Model Shipwrights: 665 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 09:42 PM UTC
Sorry guys I should have gave more details.

Its one of Tamiyas 1/700 water line Destroyer kits. And both pieces are plastic.

I’m afraid to try heating and bending it as it will still work for what I need how it is now with a little bit of putty.

But I’m now wondering if it could work to rubberband it to a peace of wood so its holding its shape and then heat it up by ether setting it by a heater (not to close) or by placing it in hot water and then letting it cool down.

I don’t know if this would work or not.
 _GOTOTOP