_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
The slipway
Squid_DK
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 4 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 01:02 PM UTC
As a first post I'd like to show what's on the slipway from my wife and I, the Bismarck is mine it's being build as a tribute to my aunt who made me start building models over 20 years ago, the Musashi is my wife's first BB, she's about 3 days into the build.

Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 02:51 PM UTC
Greetings, Staffan,
Welcome to Model Shipwrights, mate!

How lucky you are to have a better half who enjoys the same interests! (this must make trips to the local Hobby Store alot more fun!)

Nice looking builds thus far, mate, thanks for sharing and keep us all posted on your progress! Is your wife a site member? If not, you should encourage her to join... we also have a special group of ladies known as Armorama's Angels, all of the female modelers of the site. See more about the Angels HERE
Keep Modeling!
~Gunny
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 01:10 AM UTC
Love those big 350 scale beauties. I really hope you haven't glued everything down yet, It makes painting them much more difficult. It is better to leave all the guns and superstructure stuff off until after you paint the deck and hull, that is of course assuming you are going to paint them. There are lots of good sites to get colors for the ships

http://www.kbismarck.com/ for the Bsmarck

this other one is russian, but they spell out Yamato and you just click onto it to get a wealth of drawings

http://photo.starnet.ru/Thematic_Wallpapers/Korabli_i_suda/Linkory_i_linkrei.htm
Squid_DK
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 03:21 AM UTC
Nope only dry fitted, and I managed to put in a few hours of work today, this is a pretty poor image, but you get the idea.

I use a badger airbrush and Vallejo air acrylic paints, will admit that I'm a little bit apprehensive about doing the rigging, but I'll give it a try when the painting is over with
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 03:46 AM UTC
Hi Staffan

Welcome aboard Modelshipwrights!!
Both your and your wife's ships look good, and I must ask if they are your first Ship Models?
Keep us posted, please

Skipper
Squid_DK
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 11:26 AM UTC
Skipper:
Nope they're not our first, I've been building on and off for nearly 20 years, my wife started when she met me (she shocked me by doing the 1:350 Tamiya Fletcher DD in two days) I also have the 1:350 Tamiya Missouri on hold, but pretty far along. It is the first ships painted with airbrush though.

I also spend some time building aircraft and armour.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 05:55 PM UTC
Thanks Staffan

You have a speedy yardworker next to you
Thanks for sharing,

Skipper
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 1,610 posts
Model Shipwrights: 566 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 07:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

she shocked me by doing the 1:350 Tamiya Fletcher DD in two days) I also have the 1:350 Tamiya Missouri on hold, but pretty far along.

That's amazing! I can't imaginge being able to do one that fast, but then I do have a tendency to over do the details!

I really had a blast doing my Missouri, and learned a few things along the way in doing the rigging. Mainly that it wasn't nearly as hard as I was afraid it was going to be.

Keep up the great work and keep posting your progress shots!!

Tom
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 12:38 PM UTC
Like the deck color for the Bismarck. take a look at some of those overhead paintings to get the rest of the wooden deck stuff. If you have the time and money, you might want to pick up the White Ensign Models set that has the upper decks detail with sheets brass that are etched to show wooden deck sections and metal grate.. I used them, if you look in my gallery, you can see my version.
 _GOTOTOP