_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
Back from the wars
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 12, 2006 - 02:26 AM UTC
Folks that 1 / 1200 scale market is fierce. I managed to pick up some stuff, mainly because closing time was 5am central time. Boy there are some real dummies. One guy got so into it that he paid $45 for a $28 kit. Even after the seller told them to go to the ALNAVCO site to look at pictures and the prices were posted right there pretty as you please. Well, I dropped around $75, but I'm getting 4 heavy cruisers, one Yamato, and 3 other battleships.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 12, 2006 - 03:20 AM UTC
Hey, Steve!
Sure sounds as if you've been bitten hard by the "Braille Scale" bug, mate!
$45.00 for a $28.00 kit?!? Adreneline does strange things to the human mind, doesn't it? He must have had auction fever! Your fleet is growing very quickly, my friend!
Cheers!
~Gunny
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 12, 2006 - 07:59 AM UTC
Here is an interesting news flash. It appears to me that those plastic revell versions are MUCH better detailed than their metal counterparts. I'll fill you in later after I get the preponderance of my fleet. Right now all I've got to compare is the Iowa class battleships. I will say that the Hipper and Lutzow that I've also received are splendidly detailed.
Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 970 posts
Model Shipwrights: 446 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 12, 2006 - 03:36 PM UTC
I've just built Revell's 1/1200 USS Enterprise, and must agree with Steve that they are remarkably detailed for their diminutive size. Hope to have a (short!) review online shortly!
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 12:59 AM UTC
went to the hobby shop yesterday (mainly to get a very dark brown color for spraying as a wash on tanks) and picked up some evergreen super thin tube styrene to build masts for my fleet. No sense leaving these things as plain janes just because they are small. Well back to ebay...trying to pick up the Alaska for the collection.
 _GOTOTOP