_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
I'm back
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 19, 2006 - 10:35 AM UTC
Hi gang, I just wanted you to know that I'm still alive and well, though it's been an interesting summer to say the least. It's been "the best of times, and the worst of times." I told you I lost my job back at the end of May. I'm Ok finacially, at least for now, but it was a shock. I took a month off and worked on the house. I got more done in that month than I have for years now. That was the good part. I made a mistake and rushed into taking another job before I was really ready. It was 3 weeks of the worst work experience I've had in a long time, but I quit it and feel much better now.

I haven't been doing any ship modeling lately, but I still want to get back into it. I haven't even been able to finish my Yorktown or Bismarck yet. For some reason I just can't get motivated enough to work on them. I might just start some easy kit from scratch just to get back into the swing of things. I've got an old Tamiya Japanese light cruiser I might start.

I did manage to score a great deal at Wal Mart the other day. I got the entire collection of Victory at Sea, three dics, for $5.50. It's great to put on a disc and watch that old show while making some kit. The music alone is worth the price.

Anyway I've looked around on the site and it seems you folks have been doing some great work. Soon as I can get anything put together I'll post it.

AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 19, 2006 - 03:25 PM UTC
Ho Roger,

Welcome back. Hope things get sorted out for you. You were noted by you absence :-) :-) :-) :-)

Look forward to your posts and seeing some of you builds.

Be well and good luck.

Cheers

Al
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 19, 2006 - 03:34 PM UTC
Well, well, my friend,
Welcome Back, mate!
Alot of people have been hunting you down, Rodge, wondering where the heck ya been! It's good to hear that all is allright, albeit the bad re-work experience, but at least there was some productive time well spent on your quarters, aye?
The modeling bug will creep back into yer veins, my friend, don't worry, I'm sure...a few days of hanging out at the site (alot has changed in your hiatus, mate! It should take you a while to note all of the changes at KitMaker!) will get the blood churning again, and you'll be back at it...
Hope to see you again real soon, Rodge!
Cheers!
~Gunny
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 981 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 19, 2006 - 05:40 PM UTC
Nice to see you back Rodger.
The Cheese Cake was great.
Now I'm on a diet..... :-)
Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 970 posts
Model Shipwrights: 446 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 19, 2006 - 09:31 PM UTC
Welcome back Rodger, nice to hear from you again.

Have a virtual beer on me!
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,169 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,597 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 06:47 PM UTC
Really great to hear from you Rodger.

Personally I am real pleased to hear from you I was genuinely concerned about you.

Your enthusiasm and input were sorely missed around the place.

I think the modelling spirit will return as soon as you have your life back on track as it were.

Regards

Sean
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, August 21, 2006 - 03:36 AM UTC
I had a similar experience back in 2001. Got laid off from Nokia and spent several months looking . I took one and forgot the key question...what is my salary. Turned out is was 5,000 below my minimum. That was first oh oh. Number 2 was the hours which ended up being close to 12 a day. I told them I wanted to get a clerk for my shift which would cut 2 hours off me coming in before the shift, as well as free me to do my main duties whcih would have cut another hour off the end of my day. No go. three weeks into job they fired me much to my relief as I would have quit the ext day as I got another job offer and these guys paid me till the end of the week so I got 3 free days of pay. Of Course you unlike me are going to find a really great job. I gave up with 90 day "swap you out" jobs and went and earned a paplegal certificate. Now I'm trying to get a toe in the door to gain just a wee bit of experience in the field. If I can get that, then the world will be my oyster..

Good luck to you my brother!!

Steve
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Monday, August 21, 2006 - 04:54 AM UTC
Speaking from personal experience Rodg, if watching Victory at Sea doesn't light the fires and kick the tires when it comes to ship modeling, I'll be a monkey's uncle.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 12:04 AM UTC
Welcome back Rodger

Well, things like this happen...
But I am glad to see that you are "back in business" and back to the crew!
You'll see everything will come to the proper place and you'll be better now than before!
My sincere best wishes

Rui (aka Skipper)
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
Model Shipwrights: 248 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 01:30 AM UTC
Hang in there, it will get different! I was out of regular employment for the better part of 4 years. Fortunately my wife had a job the kept most of the bills paid and had enough left over to collect a few kits as well.
 _GOTOTOP